citiCite
FORUMS PHOTOS GROUPS EVENTS WIKI
CREATE ACCOUNT | LOGIN
Mueller Community (change)
Search
You are NOT logged in.
RSS
Viewing Search Results for 'Lawless Street'
The following table will display your current search results.
Page Header Image
 
Happy hour for Celia Israel, 9-24 here in Mueller
posted by B. T. on September 14th, 2013 6:57 PM
Hi neighbors, please join Corky Hilliard and me at a happy hour event for Celia Israel, Sept. 24, 6 p.m., at Corky's home: 4120 Lawless Street. To RSVP, contact Billy at (512)542-9744 or billy@susanharryconsulting.com. Celia Israel is the only candidate in the race for State Representative with a proven track record of public service. Having served in the Governor Ann Richards administration, shaped public policy as a legislative director, and worked to enact positive change in the state’s women and minority business program, Celia understands what true leadership entails. Celia also recently served on the Mueller Advisory Commission. She is the only candidate with experience in regards to land use, transportation and development issues. Celia will be ready to fight for progress and the average Texan on Day One. Please join us in supporting Celia who supports Central Texas. Hi neighbors, please join Corky Hilliard and me at a happy hour event for Celia Israel, Sept. 24, 6 p.m., at Corky's home: 4120 Lawless Street. To RSVP, contact Billy at (512)542-9744 or billy@susanharryconsulting.com. Celia Israel is the only candidate in the race for State Representative with a proven track record of public service. Having served in the Governor Ann Richards administration, shaped public policy as a legislative director, and worked to enact positive change in the state’s women and minority business program, Celia understands what true leadership entails. Celia also recently served on the Mueller Advisory Commission. She is the only candidate with experience in regards to land use, transportation and development issues. Celia will be ready to fight for progress and the average Texan on Day One. Please join us in supporting Celia who supports Central Texas.
Mueller Needs YOU to Speak Up (or Show Up) - 10-1 Redistricting Public Hearing
posted by ping2guo3 on August 14th, 2013 3:59 PM
Um. . . Mueller is not the east Austin you knew? Well, it can’t be geography, so it must be something else. Maybe the availability of new houses on an otherwise barren, noisy airfield? Or, the 1 out of 4 units that house people at 80 percent or less of MFI without looking like subsidized housing? Or, providing nice rental units for those above 55 at affordable rates? Or the increased shopping and employment opportunities, including an HEB, in a previously identified food desert? If not any of these things, then maybe does it have something to do with the types of people who live at Mueller? Perhaps it is people like Dennis MIck who one-handedly fixed handicapped accessibility to the voting precinct in Windsor Park or the dozens of other like him who assist their east side neighbors on a routine basis? Or, maybe it is the emergent leadership of young women like Kathy Sokolic or young Africa Americans like James Nortey and Kevin Foster? This old airport patch of land is probably not the east side you knew. There are a lot of new streets and buildings and many new people. Some old timers may not like the change and or perhaps think of it as too "different" to be considered as a part of east Austin. They may well be correct. I will leave that for others to decide.As for the gerrymandering part, everyone needs to examine the committee charge and come to understand what that term is and what it is not. Jerry Perkins, Lawless St, Mueller neighborhood
Winner of the 2012 Mueller Holiday Block Contest
posted by Drew on January 11th, 2013 11:22 PM
Each year, the Front Porch Flyer newsletter recognizes the Mueller neighborhood block with the most holiday spirit. This is a block competition, not an individual competition, so you need to get with your neighbors to show the rest of Mueller why your block has the most holiday cheer. The winning block has a photo published in the Front Porch Flyer. Prior winning blocks include Lawless, the southern end of Berkman, and Cal Rodgers. For 2012, the winner is Gochman Street! Strong participation from several neighbors, along with whimsical decorations like the Christmas pigs and geese, helped make Gochman a place of grand holiday cheer. Other notably decorated streets include the western end of Antone and "upper Camacho," as well as Garden Court 2. Congrats to the winner, and we look forward to your holiday cheer next year! -The Front Porch Flyer team
Traffic operations: signage and alley traffic flow
posted by Sean M. on December 10th, 2012 9:47 AM
First I'll start by saying I enter the driveway in the wrong direction and will continue too no matter what is "officially" decided. When people say they do not understand why this would be a good idea I'll mention a couple points. To enter the driveway at the proper end I must drive down lawless st, when cars are parked on both sides there isn't much room to see/react to anyone coming out from behind the cars and since I should be doing this daily I do not see why I should drive less than 30 mph as that is legal (which when cars are parked seems like I'm barreling down the street hoping a kid doesn't shoot out from behind a car). Also I know which houses have kids that play in the back so now I have to pass them in the driveway when I wouldn't if entered the wrong way. So there are definitely some reasons and I normally drive cautiously in the driveways anyways. Basically I have to pass houses with kids twice rather than enter cautiously and watch out at the T. PS. Stop posting that you got into an accident with 3yr old and 7mo old, that is irrelevant, If I get in an accident without kids is it not the same - stop with the over sensationalizing, no one wants to be in an accident.
Mueller Streets: Death Row for Trees
posted by ret1ree00 on June 15th, 2012 1:01 PM
Wilson, Here is what RVi ( The Landscape Designers) gave us some time back for each street in our phase of Mueller.-bur oaks (Quercus macrocarpa) on Tom Miller,-cedar elms (Ulmus crassifolia) on Pinckney, also Mattie and Simond (but not along the Lake Park, bald cypress there on Simond)-Drake elms (a variety of lacebark or Chinese elm, Ulmus parvifolia 'Drake') for Emma Long-lacebark elms (standard U. parvifolia) on Zach Scott-chinquapin oak (Q. muhlenbergii) on McCloskey -live oaks (Q. virginiana) on Berkman-Mexican sycamore (Platanus mexicana) on Threadgill, Scales, Sahm, Hermalinda-Mexican white oak (Q. polymorpha) (aka Monterrey oaks as original trademark) on Camacho-Shumard oak (Q. shumardii) on Littlefield, Antone-Texas red oak (Q. texana) on Lawless, Gochman, Hargis, Cal RodgersJoe
White Lincoln Land Yacht
posted by schroed on March 15th, 2012 12:06 PM
Aw, c'mon, I wasn't going to give him YOUR address!
Late model white Lincoln
posted by Michael Sears on March 15th, 2012 11:57 AM
The car belongs to a guy named Dave. Like mentioned above, he's a SUPER nice guy. He also happens to be a car enthusiast who likes to work on cars. He's currently renting a room from me while his Mueller Condo is being built. He moves it around because the folks on Gochman weren't too fond of having it AND his Jaguar parked on the street. I'll let him know there's a to-do. I'll also let him know that the folks on Lawless, in fact, DO NOT need another person parking on the street, especially not a land yacht. [:wink:]
Late model white Lincoln
posted by schroed on March 15th, 2012 9:42 AM
That's a great idea! Mr Lincoln owner, please feel free to park your car directly in front of my home on Lawless St. PM me for the exact address. The only ones parking there now are my daughter, who is almost never here, and the renters across the street.That way, when I'm out walking the neighborhood and turn into my block for the 12 or 13-hundredth time, I won't have to look around to make sure I have the right street.
Bruce Elfant for Tax Assessor/Collector
posted by Kathy Sokolic on February 17th, 2012 9:24 AM
Hi All, We will be having a meet and greet with Bruce Elfant this Tuesday, February 21, 2012 at 7 PM, at 4120 Lawless Street (Corky's house). We would like to invite everyone interested in this race to come meet Bruce. Bruce has been our County Constable for years and years, and is such an amazing guy. Our current Tax Assessor/Collector, Nelda Wells Spears, is stepping down and retiring after years and years of her own amazing service! For more information, or to RSVP, please email rsvp@bruceelfant.com And more info: http://bruceelfant.com/ Thank you, Kathy
Wind=>Blown Open Gate=>Liberated Dog
posted by stew_sc on October 18th, 2011 5:31 AM
Please keep an eye out for Scout this morning. The wind caused the gate to blow open to our courtyard, aiding in her escape. Senior black labrador (black with white muzzle) Blue collar Lawless Street Please call 450-2051
Water balloon launcher, and Pinckney ABM system
posted by Rod on June 20th, 2011 9:17 AM
Last night Pinckney Street residents (Kevin was asleep, we tried to rouse him) established an optically transparent graphene-net ABM system protecting our street. Projectiles of any sort coming from either Lawless or Cal Rodgers will be returned directly to their launch point by this perfectly elastic system. Graphene, now available by the square kilometer at Home Depot. -Rod
Just bought a house & looking for a refrigerator
posted by kerry on June 17th, 2011 10:25 AM
Welcome to Scales Street, Sameer! You should come on out to the Mueller Neighborhood Association meeting tomorrow morning at 10am and then meet your fellow alley neighbors at the Lawless block party at 7pm.Let us know if you need anything. Good luck with the fridge!Kerry
MNA Steering Committee Nominees - Election is this Saturday!
posted by kerry on June 14th, 2011 10:44 PM
Here are the 12 nominees we have for the 13 available steering committee positions. Additional nominations will be received from the floor at the meeting. The election is at this Saturday's MNA meeting at the Hangar at 10am! If you have any questions, please email . Don Dozier Emma Long Street Ashley Fisher Lawless Street Diane Gierisch Camacho Street I am a Pioneer in the neighborhood and currently serve on the Pool Advisory Committee. I have been a steering committee member for 1 year and would like to continue in this role. I care deeply about our neighborhood would like to continue to be involved in its leadership. Corky Hilliard Lawless Street Betsy Hilton Mendez Street Interested in serving our awesome community for third term. Currently serve as the Secretary. I am a civil engineer and also represent residents on Catellus' transportation committee. Kevin McGillicuddy Pinckney Street I live on Pinckney St. and have come to love this friendly, vibrant and eclectic community of all new neighbors. Candice McKay Littlefield Street Travis Michel Berkman Drive I want to strengthen new and existing relationships with Mueller residents through serving the community. As an engineer by trade, I have an interest to help ensure Mueller continues to be developed in a smart way that's best for our neighbors. Dennis Mick Scales Street I wish to serve again on the Steering Committee for the next term because I am very interested in helping to ensure that Mueller continues to be a welcoming, vibrant, sustainable, progressive community. Having served on the SC for the past year, I would maintain continuity with the work, progress and aims of the MNA. Jerry Perkins Lawless Street I served on the Steering Committee in the first year and am currently the Mueller Neighborhood Association ANC representative. I am interested in linking Mueller to our neighbors in east Austin and those in the larger city. Shellie Shores Pinckney Street Currently serving on Steering Committee - elected about 2 months ago; served on Heritage Neighborhood Steering Committee for approximately 2 years; participates in LGBT Group, Landscape Group. Kathy Sokolic Lawless Street I've lived at Mueller for almost 3 and a half years and worked hard to create a great deal of community through street and neighborhood events. I currently serve as block captain for Lawless Street, as one of two resident representatives on the Pecan Street Project Executive Board, and a contributor to the Front Porch Flyer. I look forward to participating in a growing Mueller and serving a second term on the Steering Committee.
Solar-Texas Tribune article
posted by queeneliz1 on June 3rd, 2011 8:35 AM
Is this Lawless street I see in the Texas Tribune today? Way to go, Corky! http://www.texastribune.org/texas-energy/energy/with-little-help-texas-solar-use-grows--slowly/
Need dog watched during day Thurs and/or Friday?
posted by KenParis on April 21st, 2011 9:13 PM
Hi, I work from home on Thursday and Friday and my dog Cindy gets frustrated because I'm working and not playing with her. If someone has a dog who gets along with Cindy (she's friendly to pretty much every dog she meets on walks and I'm told she plays well at doggie daycare Mon thru Wed) then I'd be love to let him/her stay here during the day Thursday and/or Friday. I'd prefer just one dog each day so I can take them on walks together. I live on Lawless Street close to the pool and have a locked side yard. Give me a call at 925-3933 if you're interested and we can set up a meeting. Ken
Meet Kathie Tovo, candidate for City Council Place 3
posted by momof4 on April 21st, 2011 5:41 AM
Join friends and neighbors from Mueller and beyond! PLEASE COME TO MEET KATHIE TOVO, our candidate for City Council, Place 3. April 28 (Thursday), 5:30 - 7:30 4128 Lawless Street As a former vice president of the Austin Neighborhood Council and a recent member of the City's Planning Commission, Kathie is an exciting and well-qualified candidate for Place 3 of the Austin City Council. She has worked hard for schools, families, neighborhoods, historic preservation, and the environment. Light refreshments will be served, and good company will be abundance! We look forward to seeing you on Thursday, April 28. Hosts: Jerry Perkins, Dennis Mick, and Felicia Adams
MNA General Membership meeting minutes 16 April 2011
posted by Betsy on April 16th, 2011 12:19 PM
16 April 2011 General Membership Meeting – Mueller Neighborhood Association MNA President, Grant Fisher, opened the meeting which was held at the Browning Hangar. Grant introduced Kathy Sokolic, who is leading our meeting today. About 52 members attended. - Kathy announced that there would be a drawing for prizes (credit at trailer eateries) at the conclusion of the meeting. – Kerry reported that our current balance is $4488. We anticipate another round of MNA grants can be awarded in the Fall. : - Egg Scramble next Saturday, April 23 - Mueller garden walking tour - May 14, 10:00 a.m. until noon. Contact Janelle Dozier if you want to nominate a garden. Also, Central Texas Gardener will be here filming a show on Mueller on May 12. - Solar meeting Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. at the SEDL building. Come to this meeting to learn about solar installations, rebates, group purchasing power and more! Kathy has verified that row homes are eligible for the Pecan Street Project supplemental rebates. - Block captains introduced themselves. Kathy encouraged new people to get involved with the community. Upcoming events include: - Scales/Mattie block party tonight at 5:30. Starts with bike/ped parade. - Camacho block party on May 15 - Ben Edgerton & Andrew Wiseheart, owners of Contigo Austin, spoke about their restaurant across Anchor Lane from Mueller. Ben is the general manager and Andrew is the executive chef. They are working to create community, facilitated through good food, drinks, and hospitality. Training started last night. Grand opening is May 7. The menu is described as fresh, quality bar food. They’ll have a small plates section on the menu. Andrew is also interested in charcuterie (cured meats) and they’ll have a few sausages on the menu. They’ll also have a couple of salads and several vegetarian items. They get their chicken and beef from 2 farms in Fredericksburg. They’ll have 12 beers on tap with some of them being local beers. They’ll have a limited, but well-executed cocktail list. About 75% of their seating is outside. About 1/2 is covered and most is in shade due to site orientation. They are working to get a bike rack installed. Hours will be 4pm - midnight M-F, noon - 1:00 a.m. on Saturday, and noon - midnight on Sunday. Address is 2027 Anchor Lane. See contigotexas.com for more information. Ben’s family owns/operates Contigo Ranch in South Texas. He’s bringing some of that to Austin. (Ashley Fisher) - - Dell hospital update regarding expansion. Expansion was planned from the beginning but is needed sooner than anticipated. Will expand from 178 to 250 beds. Break ground December and finish July 2013. - Mueller Foundation - have bought back 3 houses that resold. Focus is affordability and education. See minutes from last month for more discussion of the education focus. - Simmons Vedder working on new apt. complex next to Mosaic. - Subdivision of property at corner of Berkman & Antone for the Pecan Street Project demonstration house and about 7 others (shop houses & garden homes) - Wildflower Terrace already has 190 people on their interest list. They are part of Catellus Open House today from 12-3 p.m. - - MNA will be accepting nominations for Steering Committee members in May, and elections will be held in June. Please consider serving the community in this way. Several current members and officers are not eligible to run as they’ve reached their three year term limit. - Front Porch Flyer photo contest - A slice of life at Mueller... start developing a photo history of life here at Mueller. Send photos to fpfphotos@gmail.com by April 25th. Some prizes will be awarded. - Lawless neighbors are hosting open houses to meet council members (up for re-election) Chris Riley (April 18) and Randi Shade (April 25). Gathering at 7:00 p.m. both nights at 4120 Lawless St. Meeting adjourned about 10:45. Great attendance today!!
Meet Place 1 Candidate Chris Riley
posted by GP on April 12th, 2011 7:50 AM
Chris Riley, Candidate for Austin City Council Place 1 --- Come meet Chris Riley, candidate for Austin City Council! Chris has been serving the community for many years. He co-founded the Downtown Austin Neighborhood Association in 1997 and served as its president for five years. He was then appointed to Austin’s Planning Commission and served on it for six years, including two years as its chair. He has also served on numerous other city boards and task forces, including the Downtown Commission (1999-2007), the Water Conservation Task Force (2006-07), and the Street Smarts Task Force (2007). Chris currently serves as a Member of the Austin City Council, which he was elected to in May of 2009. He is also a member of the Capital Metro Board of Directors, the Capital Area Metropolitan Planning Organization (CAMPO) Transportation Policy Board and the Capital Area Council of Governments (CAPCOG). Chris has also been involved with a number of local non-profits. As a board member of the Austin Parks Foundation, Chris helped bring the giant chess set to Wooldridge Park, where it has seen action most Saturdays for the past six years. Chris also co-founded Austin Carshare and the Alliance for Public Transit, and served as president of the Austin History Center Association for two years. Hosted By Your Neighbors Corky Hillard, Carol Fredericks, Grant Fisher, Kevin Ludlow, Susan Rieff, and Kathy Sokolic Monday, April 18, 7:00p.m. 4120 Lawless Street Austin, Texas 78723 Coffee and snacks will be served.
2010 Mueller Holiday Spirit Block Contest - FINALISTS
posted by Drew on December 22nd, 2010 9:50 PM
It's the final week before Christmas, and the editors of the Front Porch Flyer have picked finalists for the 2010 Mueller Holiday Spirit Block Contest. I recommend strolling down these streets while the weather is still unseasonably warm and checking out the decorations your neighbors have put up. Hopefully it will inspire even more festive decorations next year. The winning block will be posted here after Christmas, and will be featured in the next issue of the newsletter.Congrats to the finalists, who are listed here in alphabetical order:
  • Antone, Western end
  • Berkman, Southern end
  • Garden Court 1
  • Garden Court 2
  • Gochman
  • Lawless
  • McCloskey, Eastern end
  • MNA paid memberships by street.
    posted by Kathleen Malcom on December 13th, 2010 4:00 PM
    Mueller Neighborhood Association paid memberships by street. Dues are $10.00 per household per year. Please feel free to submit your MNA dues at the MNA Holiday party this Saturday at 10:00AM at the Ronald McDonald House. Street: 2009 2010 2011 Antone 2 4 8 Berkman 3 6 Cal Rodgers 1 1 2 Camacho 9 22 Emma Long 1 3 6 Gochman 4 6 Hargis 2 1 Hermalinda 1 1 Lawless 3 10 Littlefield 1 2 Mattie 1 5 2 McCloskey 4 2 5 Mendez 2 1 Pinckney 2 4 Sahm Scales 3 8 7 Threadgill 1 6 3 Tom Miller 4 3 3 Zach Scott 3 7 5 Total 23 69 88***
    2010 Mueller Holiday Spirit Block Contest
    posted by Drew on December 8th, 2010 12:09 AM
    It’s that time again! Each year, the Front Porch Flyer newsletter recognizes the Mueller neighborhood block with the most holiday spirit. This is a block competition, not an individual competition, so get with your neighbors to show the rest of Mueller why your block has the most holiday cheer. The winning block will have a photo published in the Front Porch Flyer. Last year Lawless Street won and raised the bar with its lit arches over the sidewalk. This year Lawless has decked out its street again, and Gochman Street and both Garden Courts are showing their festive holiday spirit. Feel free to nominate/brag about your street in this thread. Front Porch Flyer editors will be deciding the winner in the week before Christmas.
    MNA Steering Committee meeting notes 2 Nov 2010
    posted by Betsy on November 2nd, 2010 8:31 PM
    Reminder that the Mueller Neighborhood Association (MNA) steering committee (SC) is open to all MNA members. The next steering committee meeting is scheduled for Dec. 7th MNA Steering committee Meeting Minutes – 2 Nov 2010 Steering Committee Attendees: Grant Fisher, Betsy Hilton, Kathy Sokolic, Diane Gierisch, Mike McGovern, Mary Piette, Kerry Fisher & Don Dozier SC members absent: Dennis Mick, Kat Malcom, Michael Adams, Drew Harris, & Jim Nieto Agenda: I.Welcome & Introductions - we all new each other and were happy to have a quorum. II.Treasurer’s Report – Kerry reported via e-mail that our balance is $1660.34. We're starting to get a few membership renewals for 2011. Upcoming expenses include the Front Porch Flyer, ANC dues and a few other minor expenses if approved by this group. Our projected balance at the end of the year would be about $1100. A report on membership by street was reviewed. Camacho and Lawless have the most members. We discussed a little tax scare we had this month. Grant was notified of inquiries by the Comptroller and the Secretary of State about delinquent tax filings and possible penalties. He quickly went to both offices and straightened things out, filing necessary papers on the spot. We are registered as a for-profit corporation, which means we have to file franchise tax reports. We won't have to pay any franchise tax but we do have to file the reports. This registration is thought to provide some protection for steering committee members but we will inquire further as to whether this is the appropriate status for a neighborhood association. III.Existing Business a. MNA Grants - No additional grants were received by the Nov. 1 deadline. We unanimously approved funding the Stitch n' Bitch request for $125 to fund materials to knit stuffed bears for children in Africa and small caps for premature babies at Dell Children's Hospital. b. Front Porch Flyer - Grant will work up a small insert regarding membership dues and renewals for the FPF. c. Pecan Street Project (PSP) update – Informal gathering at Elixer tomorrow morning from 8-9am. Kick-off meeting next week, Nov. 10 at 6:00 pm at Asbury Methodist Church. d. Prop 1 - MNA did vote to support and so advised the Get Austin Moving group but they didn't appear to have published our support anywhere. IV.Upcoming Meetings – General meeting will be Nov. 20 at the Ronald McDonald House. We'll meet there for the next several months. V.Other business – We discussed ways to get more people informed of major events and initiatives at Mueller. We want to reprint some of the yellow cards and have steering committee members go door-to-door, especially in the newer parts of the neighborhood, to talk with residents about MNA membership, the Pecan Street Project, muellercommunity.com, etc. The steering committee unanimously approved a motion to authorize the expenditure of up to $375 to print 'marketing' materials to be handed out during this door-to-door educational campaign. We want to make sure that all residents are aware of the issues and the opportunities for engagement in their neighborhood. Kerry reported that she attended the meeting of the Catellus budget committee and they have again included $2500 in their budget to support resident activities throughout the year. Meeting adjourned about 8:00.
    Mueller NNO Locations
    posted by Kathy Sokolic on September 29th, 2010 8:24 AM
    Lawless street will be heading to Ella Wooten Park around 6 for the festivities. Meanwhile, there will be a table or two set up on the southern end of the street for the potluck, which will start around 7, or earlier for those who didn't want to head to the park. All are welcome here as well!
    Block Captain Meeting, this Thursday, Sept 16, 6:30 PM
    posted by Kathy Sokolic on September 14th, 2010 9:18 PM
    Since I am hosting the meeting of the Block Captains, I would love it if those who are attending would please RSVP on the events page. Marge and Kat have been kind enough to provide something for us to nibble on, and it would be fantastic if we could estimate how many people will be attending on Thursday.Again, Block Captain meeting, Thursday, September 16, 6:30 PM at my house (4104 Lawless).While this meeting is for Block Captains to gain some info to distribute to others on their streets, I don't mind one bit if others show up, especially if you'd like to volunteer to help out your street!!THANKS!!
    Block Captain Meeting 9-16-10
    posted by Kathleen Malcom on September 8th, 2010 12:30 PM
    The Mueller Block Captains will be meeting on Thursday, Sept 16th from 6:30PM to 8:00PM at the home of Kathy Sokolic on 4104 Lawless. The agenda will be Neighborhood Night Out planning, and speaker's for the Pecan Street Project plus round table topics. More details under the event section. If you would like to suggest a topic for our meeting, please email me at: kathleen_malcom@dell.com
    Local business owners and neighbors: Reach 500 in the Maplewood Elementary community in the 2010 directory
    posted by queeneliz1 on September 1st, 2010 8:09 PM
    Hi neighbors! Are you a local business owner wanting to reach an East Austin audience? Looking for a way to support your local school? The Maplewood Elementary directory is starting production and it is one of the significant ways we raise funds at the school. Advertising in our school directory helped send kids on field trips, gave every child two brand new books last year, gave teachers money for the supplies they usually end up buying out of pocket, helped our gardens grow and so much more. If you own a business or just want to contribute to a sense of community spirit (be creative), we welcome your support via an ad in the school directory. It is delivered to nearly 500 teachers, staff and Maplewood parents and children. Ads run at incredibly affordable rates listed below: Secure your ad space today: Full page – 8 x 10” $115.00 Half page – 8 x 5” $89.00 Quarter page – 4 x 5” $59.00 Business card size – 2” x 3 ½” $35.00 Prices do not include ad production. For ad layout please add $25. Email MaplewoodDirectory@gmail.com to reserve your space today or to see a sample of how ads looked last year (big file). Ads are due by Friday, September 24. Our own Lawless street neighbors advertised in support of the school last year! Your street can do the same! Thanks! Melanie on Camacho Maplewood mom since 2009 and Maplewood Directory committee chair
    Steering Committee meeting minutes - 29 June 2010
    posted by Betsy on June 30th, 2010 5:20 PM
    Reminder that the Mueller Neighborhood Association (MNA) steering committee (SC) is open to all MNA members. The next steering committee meeting is tentatively scheduled for Aug. 3, 2010 at 4124 Lawless at 7:00 p.m. MNA Steering committee Meeting Minutes – 29 June 2010 Steering Committee Attendees: Grant Fisher, Betsy Hilton, Kat Malcom, Kerry Fisher, Drew Harris, Mike McGovern, Diane Gierisch, Don Dozier, Dennis Mick, Jim Nieto, Mary Piette SC members absent: Kathy Sokolic, Michael Adams Guests: John Guest Agenda: I.Welcome & Introductions II.Treasurer’s Report – Balance is $2383.73. Kerry provided membership data by street. We have no members on Sahm and only one on Hermalinda and Cal Rodgers. We have 104 households that are members. III.Existing Business a. MNA officer elections. Current officers gave a summary of the responsibilities of their positions. Kat Malcom was not running for an officer position so she served as parliamentarian for officer elections. The following were elected as officers for the 2010-2011 year: Secretary – Betsy Hilton (unopposed) Treasurer – Kerry Fisher (unopposed) Vice-Chair – Dennis Mick (unopposed after Drew withdrew) Chair – Grant Fisher (unopposed) b. Beautification/Alliance (John Guest) – We're going into our 3rd summer in parts of the development and seeing some evidence of wear and tear. We've seen concerns about how the community is being supported in general by the POA and Alliance (water fountains, pool, road repair, lack of yard maintenance, broken sidewalks, signs bent and falling down, etc.). Committees appointed by Alliance/POA/Catellus are accountable to them. Maybe we need a MNA committee(s) accountable to residents to discuss these sorts of issues. If maintenance deteriorates over time, property values will slide and catching up will be difficult. After much discussion, Mary Piette will chair a Coordination Committee for the MNA. They will collect a list of major issues needing resolution and seek to work through those issues by coordinating with Catellus. c. Traffic Signal at Zach Scott – Jim asked about the status. Betsy has it on her list to ask about at the Transportation Committee meeting on June 30. Also discussed the failure of some drivers to yield to pedestrians crossing ZS on the hike/bike trail. d. Fourth of July events – Resident Activities committee with Catellus is planning the activities, thanks to an $800 budget from Catellus. Volunteers are needed in several areas (tent set up/break down, music play list, videographer, etc.) – please see mc.com and volunteer! Everyone is invited to a block party on Tom Miller and viewing the downtown fireworks in the evening. e. Pecan Street Project – Kathy Sokolic and Garreth Wilcock serve as Mueller representatives on the Pecan Street Project's Executive Committee. A kick-off meeting is scheduled for June 30 at Asbury Methodist Church at 6:00 p.m. IV. Upcoming Meetings – General meeting will be July 10. Potential speakers/topics discussed included the lifeguard company, City street dept, Update on Bartholomew, Austin Film Society, Troublemaker Studio, Police district rep, overview of New Urbanism principles. Grant will make some calls to see what he can arrange. V. Open comments: The meeting adjourned about 8:30 p.m.
    Welcome New Muellerites from Travis Heights
    posted by dodger on June 12th, 2010 3:58 PM
    Welcome to my sister and sister-in-law and their 4 year old daughter Ellie. They moved to Antone Street from Travis Heights yesterday and are too busy to let you know they are here! They have a chocolate lab named Dixie. Say "hey" to them tonight at the Lawless Block Party.
    Pecan Street Project
    posted by Drew on June 11th, 2010 4:38 PM
    Congrats to Kathy and Garreth! Both of them have shown a deep commitment to neighborhood involvement and a keen interest in solar power at Mueller. I am proud to have them representing us at the Pecan Street Project. We are also excited to welcome Brewster and Ian to the Lawless Block Party. Everybody come out and say hi to them.
    Pecan Street Project
    posted by Ian Dietrich on June 11th, 2010 3:50 PM
    Congratulations to Kathy Sokolic and Garreth Wilcock, who will represent the Mueller Community on the Pecan Street Project Executive Committee. We are the only smart grid demonstration project in the nation that has residents on its decision-making committee and we hope to Muellerify this project in other ways as well. The critical step ahead of us is recruiting 1,000 Mueller resident volunteers that want to be part of a solution, creating a new way to distribute and store electricity in order to maximize value to the customer. If you're interested in volunteering, email me. Brewster and I both plan on making the Lawless Party and we'll have a mock-up version of a home area network interface. See you there. We're also trying to pull together a resident kickoff meeting on June 30 or July 1. More information to come. Ian Dietrich streetproject.org">idietrich@pecanstreetproject.org
    Lawless Block Party on June 12
    posted by Drew on June 8th, 2010 4:05 PM
    In response to the flood of questions we have not been getting about the Lawless Block Party on June 12:
  • There is no size limit on the waterguns you can bring. Water balloons and fire hoses are perfectly fine.
  • Sorry, there is no wet t-shirt contest.
  • Yes, there is a celebrity appearance planned.
  • No, that celebrity will not be anybody from Sex and the City 2.
  • No, you can’t serve as the official pie-judge. The pie-contest will be determined by popular vote. Or by which one disappears the fastest.
  • No, there won’t be a margarita dunking booth. Perhaps next year.
  • Yes, if the U.S. wins its World Cup game against England on June 12, everybody gets the following day off.
  • Despite rumors, Lawless Street will not be joining the Pac-10.
  • The answer to the various scavenger hunt clues that Kathy is posting is not “42.”
  • And finally, if you asking for inspiration for the pie making contest, there is an intriguing recipe for "Reptile Pot Pie" at http://www.pastrywiz.com/archive/category/pies.htm.
    Lawless Block Party on June 12 - Scavenger Hunt Details/Rules
    posted by Kathy Sokolic on June 4th, 2010 9:34 PM
    The streets in Mueller are named after some amazing Austinites, and Lawless Street is no exception. To commemorate the namesake of our street, Colonel Peter J. Lawless, we would like to educate everyone about this amazing man by having an educational scavenger hunt in Austin!Rules - teams should be no larger than 4 people, just because that makes it easier to divvy up the prize. Please register your teams by sending an email to lawless@gmail.com">mueller.lawless@gmail.com. I would like the names of the members and a contact email/phone number of at least one of the team members in the registration. You know, so I can contact them if needed.You can do the scavenger hunt whenever you want, but before the block party begins (Saturday, June 12, 5:30 PM). So, deadline for all the entries will be Saturday, June 12, 5:30 PM. Clues will come in groups, and there will be a total of 7 clues before the final clue given at the block party.Each clue is for something or a location in Austin. You must take a picture of the thing or location with at least one member of your team in the picture. Pictures, with a caption/answer, must be emailed to lawless@gmail.com">mueller.lawless@gmail.com to get credit for the response.You must get each clue correct to qualify to receive the final clue, which will be handed out at the block party at 6:30 PM to the eligible teams. You will need to be present at this time if you have made it this far.If you get the clue wrong, you may try again, up to three tries per clue. We will let you know if you are correct or wrong, with plenty of time for you to try again.The first team to get a correct answer for a clue will get an extra point, plus a point for the correct answer. Other teams who get the correct answer will get a point as well. These points will be used in case of a tie-breaker in the end.This is meant to be fun...so have a good time with it.Like we said, there is a prize. However, there's nothing better than bragging rights...You MAY discuss the clues here on the forum. Again, this is for fun and for everyone to learn about the Colonel!! He was a pretty cool dude, and we'd like everyone to know how cool he was!Clues to come... Stay tuned!!
    Lawless Block Party on June 12
    posted by Kathy Sokolic on June 4th, 2010 9:13 PM
    Speaking of details...here are a few... And we promise a few surprises along the way!!Our RAIN OUT LOCATION will be the Lawless/Scales alley. There will be no rain out date. Rain or shine, kids!!Pie contest rules:Please bring your pie as close to 6 as you can to allow plenty of time for tasting! Votes will be tallied for the winners! You may bring any sort of pie you'd like, as Drew mentioned above!Our block party is open to EVERYONE! Mueller and the community are always welcome. There will be events for the kids and the adults. Please come and join us. We love our neighbors and meeting new people!!Although we love to share and there will be food and beverages, our block party is potluck and BYOB. We'd love to have extra dishes and drinks from around the 'hood!!Oh, the scavenger hunt!! I will post the rules in a separate post. Just to keep suspense up.If anyone has any questions, please send me a PM!KathyLawless Street Block Captain
    MNA Steering Committee minutes - 1 June 2010
    posted by Betsy on June 1st, 2010 8:49 PM
    Reminder that the Mueller Neighborhood Association (MNA) steering committee (SC) is open to all MNA members. The next steering committee meeting will be held on June 29, 2010 at 4124 Lawless at 7:00 p.m. MNA Steering committee Meeting Minutes – 1 June 2010 Steering Committee Attendees: Grant Fisher, Betsy Hilton, Kat Malcom, Kerry Fisher, Kim Wine, Dusty Harshman, Drew Harris, Mike McGovern, Bobby Gierisch, Ann Jerome and Cliff Spinac SC members absent: Timothy Brummett and Rob Clinchard Guests: Ashley Fisher, Chris Stewart Agenda: I.Welcome & Introductions II.Treasurer’s Report – Balance is $2341.23 after paying for the recent edition of the Front Porch Flyer. We haven't yet purchased the layout software for the publication. III.Existing Business a. Mueller re-subdivision. In addition to changing the use of a part of the block on Hermalinda, Catellus plans to convert 2 lots for Mueller homes (6 units per lot) on Mattie, between Camacho and Simond, to 4 lots for custom homes. Concerns were discussed about the process used by Catellus to bring the Mattie change to the Planning Commission, as this change in use was apparently never brought to PIAC for discussion. The public hearing with the Planning Commission is set for June 8, at the same time as PIAC's next meeting. The steering committee voted to send a letter to the planning commission stating our objection to PIAC being left out of the process, and requesting a postponement on this item until the proper coordination process can be followed. We have many unanswered questions that deserve open discussion and debate. Motion was made by Kim Wine, seconded by Mike McGovern and passed unanimously. Grant will draft the letter. b. MNA elections will be held at the June 12 general membership meeting. Nominations are still needed for the 13 slots. If you're interested in serving, please email Ann Jerome at annwjerome@gmail.com. c. Pecan Street Project – We still haven't heard who the Pecan Street board selected to serve on the Executive Committee. Grant is waiting for a return call from Brewster McCracken. d. Yard Sale was a great success. Areas for improvement included having it at a cooler time of year, and traffic flow for those setting up their booths. In light of the rainout the first weekend, it was scheduled that some time certain the day prior be established when a final decision will be made on whether to postpone the event. The booths organized by the Lawless block seemed to work well... perhaps next year more blocks will go in together on a booth. IV. Upcoming Meetings – General meeting will be June 12. We discussed having coffee & doughnuts as a treat for those who attend. V. Open comments: a. No one has heard of a decision by AISD on where to locate the new performing arts center. b. Meeting on the design of the Austin Energy Substation has been scheduled for June 5 from 10:00 a.m. - noon. This station will be visible from future phases of Mueller, and by traffic on Manor Road. Residents are encouraged to attend. Details are posted under Events on muellercommunity.com. The meeting adjourned about 8:05 p.m.
    April 27 Steering Committee meeting minutes
    posted by Betsy on May 12th, 2010 8:07 PM
    Sorry I'm so late in getting these notes out! Reminder that the Mueller Neighborhood Association (MNA) steering committee (SC) is open to all MNA members. The next steering committee meeting will be held on June 1, 2010 at 4124 Lawless at 7:00 p.m. MNA Steering committee Meeting Minutes – 27 April 2010 Steering Committee Attendees: Grant Fisher, Betsy Hilton, Kat Malcom, Rob Clinchard, Kerry Fisher, Kim Wine, Dusty Harshman, Drew Harris, Mike McGovern, and Bobby Gierisch SC members absent: Timothy Brummett, Ann Jerome and Cliff Spinac Guests: Ashley Fisher Agenda: I.Welcome & Introductions II.Treasurer’s Report – Balance is $2662.58 and we are in good shape to cover remaining publications of the Front Porch Flyer, along with paying the renewal on our PO Box. We're also looking into purchase of needed layout software for the Front Porch Flyer. III.Existing Business a.Anthropos Arts – Non-profit led by a friend of a Mueller resident. They work with low-income middle and high school band students to provide music lessons and mentors. The . Volunteers to help move equipment would be much appreciated. See for more information. b.Community Garage Sale is May 15, 8 a.m. - noon, in the Simond median. c.MNA Elections – Elections for the Steering Committee will be held at the June 12 general meeting. An announcement will be made at the May meeting, and posted on mc.com. It will also be announced in the next Front Porch Flyer. d.Schools – An ice cream social for Pearce staff will be Thursday to show the staff how much they are appreciated. e.Boomer chili cookoff - trophies were purchased with a small grant from MNA. f.Block Captain Survey – General consensus for each street/block having their parties as they wish, without any coordination on the dates. IV. Upcoming Meetings – Ideas were discussed for topics to cover at the May 8 general meeting. V. Open comments: a.Meeting to get input on use of the Hangar will be Thursday, April 29. b.The recent filming activity in the neighborhood was discussed, and how to better inform residents in advance. Generally, it was thought that Catellus should be notified, and then send an e-mail through their resident database. Copying would allow us to post the information on mc.com. c.Plant Fest follow-up – About $110 was raised through voluntary donations, and another $110 was raised by reselling tree stakes. The Fest was successful, with twice as many exhibitors as last year. Several ideas for improvement were also discussed, based on the level of interest at all the offerings this year (tours, etc.) d.Information about an education survey is posted on mc.com. Everyone interested in education is encouraged to participate, whether or not you have school-age children. The meeting adjourned about 7:45 p.m.
    Debating one-way traffic in alleys
    posted by schroed on May 4th, 2010 3:13 PM
    As a parent of a child who regularly plays in the alley with other children, I appreciate the patience of drivers like Dan. The alleys really are the safest place for children of a certain age to play, on wheels or otherwise, and no children play unattended in our alley. The alleys are even turning out to be quite a social space for adults, perhaps more so than the porch-lined streets!I think the one-way nature of the alleys is working, for the most part (disclosure: I live in the geographic center of our alley, so I have nothing to gain from going the wrong way). I don't think it's likely you will be able to make them two-way, but I also don't want to see people getting ticketed for going the wrong way, provided they do so safely.Perhaps there are some changes that could be made that would be helpful. Our Lawless/Scales alley, for example, is T-shaped, with one entrance at the long bottom leg of the T, and exits at both short arms at the top of the T. The arms (top) of the T are lined with row-houses, and for them to legally enter their garages they would have to drive the full length of the T. Most of those living there do not do this, and most of us are OK with it because we would have a lot more traffic down the full length of the alley if they followed the letter of the law. This situation could be improved if they were to make one of the arms of the T into an entrance and leave the other an exit. This would probably work for other, similar-shaped alleys as well.(this may be also true for kscanlans' alley - several posts back)
    Save the Date – Lawless Block Party on June 12
    posted by Drew on April 11th, 2010 10:45 AM
    The whole Mueller neighborhood is invited to the 3rd Annual Colonel Lawless Birthday Bash! Our street is named after Colonel Peter J. Lawless, a prominent Austinite who is now a friendly ghost haunting the Driskill Hotel. We will be celebrating his birthday and our wonderful Mueller community with a Lawless Street block party on Saturday, June 12. Like in the last two years, we will have a potluck party at the southern end of Lawless Street near the pool. The party starts at 6:00 pm, and there will be a Watergun Shootout at the Lawless Corral for the kids, so bring your SuperSoakers! More party details will be announced later. The Lawless Street residents look forward to seeing you on June 12!
    Cal Rodgers 2010 Block Party . .
    posted by Drew on April 9th, 2010 2:25 PM
    Hi folks, I'd like to encourage the different blocks to have their block parties spread out throughout the summer, rather than all at the same time. Party hopping is fun in theory, but in practice you rarely want to leave your own party to go to somebody else's party. Plus, block parties benefit from building a critical mass of neighbors all being in one place so we can meet each other. Lawless Street will be announcing its June 12 block party soon. It will be a big event, open to the entire neighborhood. Hopefully nobody else will take the June 12 spot!
    Cal Rodgers 2010 Block Party . .
    posted by Kathleen Malcom on April 8th, 2010 10:57 AM
    I actually like the idea of Saturday as well. We chose the same day as Lawless & Call Rodgers so we could party hop. However the Camacho Compadres are hearty stock, and when I came in at 10:00PM we still had a strong party going on in the alley, and it was a Sunday night! I think it's time for the Block Captains (BC) to get together and have a group meeting on what each street would like to do. We don't want to steal anyone's thunder, and we do want to support everyone's efforts. I will arrange a BC meeting soon. BC's please start polling your flock!
    Do you live on Threadgill?
    posted by Kathleen Malcom on April 8th, 2010 9:14 AM
    Vanessa, I love your enthusiasm and getting out in front of this as the Threadgil Block Captain! I think this is a great way to turn lemons into lemonade. One date to be aware of is the first Sunday in June 6-6-10. On this date Lawless, Cal Rodgers and Camacho have their annual street parties. More blocks may even join us this year and street hopping is encouraged. Your welcome to join our date, or you can have yours prior to that. I love the idea of having other Muellerites join yours. It reminds me of when they use to close Lavaca St. in the 70's for street dances! What ever works best for the Threadgil group is great. Enjoy!
    SoupPeddler delivery notice
    posted by ping2guo3 on April 7th, 2010 3:16 PM
    I just arrived home (3 on Wed) and found a phone message from the Soup Peddler delivery guy, Chris, saying that after leaving my order he observed a pair of people in a van on my street (Lawless). He said one went to my porch, lifted my cooler and looked inside. He then saw Chris and put it back. Chris said the pair “didn’t look like thieves,” but that he wanted to make sure I still had my food when I arrived home. I do. I am sending this for everyone’s information. Chris said that the occupants of a white van, a man and a woman, continued to drive through the neighborhood. Of course, they could be in the 'hood on legitimate business and perhaps thought my cooler was something else.
    March 30, 2010 Steering Committee Meeting minutes
    posted by Betsy on April 1st, 2010 9:07 PM
    Reminder that the Mueller Neighborhood Association (MNA) steering committee (SC) is open to all MNA members. The next steering committee meeting will be held on April 27, 2010 at 4124 Lawless at 7:00 p.m. MNA Steering committee Meeting Minutes – 30 March 2010 Steering Committee Attendees: Grant Fisher, Betsy Hilton, Rob Clinchard, Kerry Fisher, Kim Wine, Drew Harris, Mike McGovern, Ann Jerome and Cliff Spinac SC members absent: Dusty Harshman, Bobby Gierisch, Kat Malcom, Timothy Brummett Guests: Ashley Fisher Agenda: I.Welcome & Introductions II.Treasurer’s Report – Balance is $2552.58 and we are in good shape to cover remaining publications of the Front Porch Flyer. All MNA grant checks have been cashed. Kerry has tried to set up a PayPal account but the only options seem to be 'business' or 501(c)(3) and neither applies to the MNA. Kerry is going to talk to the Allendale association since they seem to have a PayPal account. III.Existing Business a.Pecan Street Project – Applications to represent Mueller residents on the PSP Executive Team have been screened and the top three applications have been forwarded to the PSP for consideration. Fourteen applications were received. The three finalists forwarded to PSP are Dusty Harshman, Garreth Wilcock and Kathy Sokolic. PSP will conduct interviews and make the final selection. b.Austin Energy Substation – The Austin City Council approved the location on the Morris Williams Golf Course at their meeting on March 24th. c.Egg hunt – Saturday's Easter Egg Hunt at the wedge is looking like fun. There will be a jumpy house and other fun for the little ones. Look online at muellercommunity.com for more information. d.Garage Sale May 15th– Slots are filling up so contact Kat Malcom if you're interested before they are all gone. e.Plant Fest April 10th – 11am-2pm followed by walking tours. Check online for more info. Volunteers needed to help set up shade covers starting at 9:00 a.m. f.Development update near old Tower – May posted online of the proposed subdivision of Block 59. The developer plans to build about 49 zero lot line homes in the block bounded by Antone, Hermalinda, Berkman and Tom Miller. About 50% of these will be in the affordable program. g.Catellus has a meeting scheduled for April 6 to get input from the community on the Market District. IV. Upcoming Meetings - General meeting on April10 will be at the picnic tables next to the community pool (probably on the Pinckney side). Our speaker will be artist Hunter Cross, who will describe a project he's working on for art to be located near the fire station and new EMS building. V. Open comments: a.A small group from the schools task force will meet with Greg Weaver from Catellus, Jim Walker from the RMMA PIAC, and Dee Desjardin to talk about the options for a school at Mueller, in the hopes of all getting on the same page. The meeting adjourned about 7:45 p.m.
    Steering Committee Minutes - 2 Feb 2010
    posted by Betsy on March 3rd, 2010 6:05 AM
    Reminder that the Mueller Neighborhood Association (MNA) steering committee (SC) is open to all MNA members. The next steering committee meeting will be held on March 30, 2010 at 4124 Lawless at 7:00 p.m. MNA Steering committee Meeting Minutes – 2 March 2010 Steering Committee Attendees: Grant Fisher, Betsy Hilton, Dusty Harshman, Kerry Fisher, Kim Wine, Bobby Gierisch, Drew Harris, Mike McGovern, and Cliff Spinac SC members absent: Rob Clinchard, Kat Malcom, Ann Jerome, Timothy Brummett Guests: Ashley Fisher, Todd Calvert (new resident!) Agenda: I.Welcome & Introductions II.Treasurer’s Report – Balance is $2677.54 and we are in good shape to cover remaining publications of the Front Porch Flyer this year. We have 89 members, with no current members from McCloskey or Sahm Streets. Kerry is going to set up a PayPal account so it will soon be possible to pay dues online. Even though PayPal takes a small percentage as a fee, we'll still hold the dues at $10. III.Existing Business a.MNA Grant Results – The Steering Committee approved funding for the following events: 1.Plant Fest ($25) 2.Stitch n Bitch project for Ronald McDonald House ($100) 3.Babysitting for meeting with Dr. Carstarphen ($40) 4.Halloween ($100) 5.Fourth of July ($100) 6.Easter Egg hunt ($50) 7.Baby Boomer ($30) b.Pecan Street Project Update - Applications are being received through March 14 to be considered for a position on the Pecan Street Project Executive Committee. The four officers of the MNA will select three candidates for forward to the Pecan Street Project Board for consideration. The Board will select one member to serve. c.Mueller substation – Austin Energy (AE) is trying to find a suitable location for a new substation to support Mueller and to some extent, surrounding areas. All locations considered so far elicit opposition from neighborhood groups. The RMMA PIAC has said the substation should be sited at Mueller, but the ultimate decision is up to the City. We're hoping to have more discussion on this topic at our general membership meeting on March 13. IV. Upcoming Meetings - General meeting on March13 will be at the Ronald McDonald House, 4th floor. Possible agenda items include the AE substation and schools. V. Open comments: a.Plant Fest on April 10 – Should be bigger than last year. A planning meeting will be held after the Plant Propagation workshop this Saturday. b.Schools committee will be meeting with MarK Williams, President of the AISD School Board, on March 3 at Meghan's house on the Wedge. The meeting adjourned about 8:00 p.m.
    Bicycle Safety of Children in Alleys
    posted by canario on January 25th, 2010 11:56 AM
    Thanks Ashley, I was waiting for more adults without children to chime in first. I live on Lawless and my son and his friends are *frequently* playing in the alley Ashley mentioned, especially on sunny days. It has been the perfect location for him to learn to ride his bike. It is wider than the sidewalks so his lack of control is not such an issue. There is *always* parental supervision of some type.As I mentioned in the parking discussion, I prefer him playing in the alley vs. the front yard/street because there is a lot of traffic down Lawless - not sure where the "often-empty streets" are located but not in our neck of the woods...One might say they need to be playing in the parks, not alleys, but getting to and from the parks is another motorist vs. pedestrian/bike rider/skateboarder/razor rider conundrum.
    2009 Mueller Holiday Spirit Block Contest
    posted by Kathy Sokolic on December 31st, 2009 12:34 PM
    As the Lawless Street block captain, I would like to thank the editors of the Front Porch Flyer for this prestigious honor. Our street is full of the most amazing neighbors, willing to come together for good times and holiday spirit. We had such an amazing time getting this together, and we really couldn't have done it without the imagination and perseverance of neighbor Jorge, who went out of his way for the fun and joy of the season.We hope that everyone has had an amazing holiday season and has enjoyed our decorations as much as we have, and we look forward to many more neighborhood events in 2010!Happy New Year, everyone!!Kathy
    2009 Mueller Holiday Spirit Block Contest
    posted by Ms Ice Monkey on December 31st, 2009 11:54 AM
    The editors of the are happy to announce the winner of the 2009 Mueller Holiday Spirit block competition is . The unity and creativity of the Lawless decorations were unparalleled. Honorable mentions for the contest go to and the A photo of the winning block will appear in the next issue of the , which will be published in late January. There were many other homes and blocks with beautiful decorations, and our thanks go out to everyone who brought the holiday spirit to Mueller.Happy New Year!
    Steering Committee meeting minutes - Dec. 1, 2009
    posted by Betsy on December 7th, 2009 6:38 PM
    Sorry it's taken me so long to post these! Reminder that the Mueller Neighborhood Association (MNA) steering committee (SC) is open to all MNA members. The next steering committee meeting will be held on Dec. 29, 2009 at 4124 Lawless at 7:00 p.m. MNA Steering committee Meeting Minutes – 1 December 2009 Steering Committee Attendees: Rob Clinchard, Grant Fisher, Drew Harris, Betsy Hilton, Kat Malcom, Dusty Harshman, Ann Jerome, Mike McGovern, Kerry Fisher, Kim Wine and Cliff Spinac SC members absent: Bobby Gierisch and Timothy Brummett Guests: Greg Buford and Jimmy Flanigan Agenda: I. Welcome & Introductions II. Treasurer’s Report – Discussed the possibility of creating a business membership category for MNA. Perhaps about $50/yr and they would get recognition (not an ad) in the Front Porch Flyer. III. Existing Business a. Ronald McDonald House Walk – Events held Friday night at the hangar with the run throughout the neighborhood. Held in conjunction with the lighting of NOEL on the tower. As of the meeting, they had raised $109,000 with this effort and had 570 people registered for the run/walk. b. Schools - Pearce Teacher Appreciation Lunch on Dec. 4th. Committee working to get meeting with Dr. Carstarphen and also to walk through neighborhood schools. The two may be combined. The committee is working to compile the results of their survey. c. MNA Sponsored Social Events - $500 has been budgeted to contribute toward community events in 2010. Two ‘calls for events’ are envisioned… one in January and another likely mid-year. Watch for more information to submit your proposal. You’ll have to be a member of the MNA to apply. The Steering Committee will make the final decision on selection. d. Holiday spirit – The Front Porch Flyer volunteer staff will select a block to win their holiday lighting award. Get those lights up this week! The winner will be announced at the general meeting on Saturday, Dec. 12th. e. Pecan Street Project – Dusty attended the press conference held at Mueller. They did receive the $10.4 million in stimulus grants from the U.S. Department of Energy. It’s too early to tell what this means to Mueller residents so watch for more information. We plan to invite Brewster McCracken to a MNA general meeting soon. You may also want to look at their website, . IV. Upcoming Meetings a. General meeting on Dec. 12 will be at the Ronald McDonald House, 4th floor. We’ll have a holiday ‘party’ afterwards so bring a treat and plan to linger after the meeting and get to know more of your neighbors. V. Additional Business/Open Comments a. Imagine Austin – The City of Austin has been hosting meetings to get input on the comprehensive plan for the City. There’s a possibility we can hold one of their ‘meetings in a box’ at Mueller and have our input considered in the planning process. More information is at . Watch for information about a meeting at Mueller. b. The steering committee unanimously approved a motion to pay our dues to the Austin Neighborhoods Council in the amount of $35 for the coming year. c. The steering committee approved (unanimously except for Ann Jerome’s abstention) a donation of $50 to the Ronald McDonald house as a way of thanking them for hosting some of our meetings. The meeting adjourned about 8:30 p.m.
    The Hollidays have come to Lawless
    posted by jorgedr on November 30th, 2009 10:59 AM
    It is not a rumor any more.... Lawless street wide decorations are up for all Muellerites to enjoy!!!!! Come by and check out what your neighbors from Lawless have done and enjoy a well lit stroll under the arches. Enjoy.
    On-Street Parking Survey Released
    posted by schroed on November 17th, 2009 9:05 AM
    Did you have fun with that straw man? I hope so. Since I didn’t say any of that, I can’t respond seriously to your comment.The auction proposal was intended to address two weaknesses in what is otherwise a very carefully designed in the parking solutions group proposal:1) The pricing of permits is arbitrary. Who is to say whether a street parking permit is worth $10 or $100? I have no idea, but a market could discover a fair price.2) In collecting money (a new tax!) as a disincentive to parking on the street, the proposal generates an unnecessary funding stream for the POA. I’m sure the POA would find a way to spend this money, but it’s not likely to be the best use of these funds. The auction proposal also creates the disincentive to street parking, but avoids this new tax. Of course, as Dusty noted, it leaves no funds to administer the program. To that I say, let the POA sell a limited number of permits (not to exceed, say, 1 per every 4 housing units) and use those funds to administer the overall program.And speaking of compromises, those who suggest we should have no parking regulations whatsoever might think we are currently living under such an arrangement. Actually, what we have is a draconian set of parking rules (the covenants) that are not currently enforced by any authority, but they are to a certain extent self-enforced by many of the residents. That is, we have an existing compromise, but it is inherently unstable.Take my street, Lawless, for example: There are eighteen homes facing the street. Most nights, there are 12 to 15 cars on the street, and the parking situation is not that bad. Now take a walk down the alleys, and count the tire marks in the driveways, and you’ll note a high degree of compliance with the covenants. By my count, roughly 8 homes have 2 cars in the garage, 8 more have 1 car inside, and a couple have none. Thus, about 24 cars are parked inside at any given time. Are these 24 people just saps, or are they trying to be good neighbors while a better parking scheme is developed?So my question is, if we were to eliminate the parking restrictions, as many posters here suggest, how many of the owners of those 24 cars would like to park them on the street? My car would stay garaged (best protection available against hail and theft), but I can’t speak for my wife or the other 22. I do know that only a small fraction of them would find room on the street. And then where would visitors park?The real question, then, is whether we have to experience this chaos before we admit we cannot self-regulate our way through this? I agree with the goals of my libertarian neighbors who would like to see no regulations; I’m just not sure it would work in a neighborhood with a high ratio of cars to available street spaces.
    Minutes: November 03, Steering Committee Meeting
    posted by GP on November 3rd, 2009 10:14 PM
    Sorry, my notes aren't as great as Betsy's usual notes! -Grant ---------------------------------------- MNA Steering Committee – November Meeting (4124 Lawless Street) Call to order- 7:07pm Attendees: Grant, Mike, Kat, Ann, Michelle Graham (Ronald McDonald House), Rob, Cliff, Kerry, Kim, Dusty, Drew II.Existing Business A. Ronald McDonald House (7:10 to 7:24) Michelle and Ann speak about logistics of Lights of Love walk. Ann asked Michelle to come regarding any questions or street closures, etc. Michelle has handouts. Issues from last time: traffic and barricades. RmcD has police officers to control traffic and help people with events (residents). Intent is to have less of an impact on neighborhood. People have received letters regarding this. Postcard going out to all residents about the event and tower lighting. Has notification signs about event. Tower lighting: the public will arrive via Aldrich. All activities will be at the hangar. Jumbo-tron will show the lighting as well (near the hangar). It will snow at the lighting (it will snow from 6 to 8pm). Last year 500 people ran. Registration is higher this year than last year. Kids run is only on Aldrich and Simond (only about 15 minutes). Parking is clearly marked (at Mosaic and Seton). Q: Is there a fee for Lake Park? A: We aren't using LP. B. Online discussions (7:24 to 7:32) Discussions about how the MNA fits into the online discussions. The MNA does not take a stance on the HOA issues present. We will provide a forum for the discussion but will not make recommendations, etc. Although we can serve as an advocate, because the neighborhood is divided, we cannot take a position and advocate. If there was one opinion, we could speak/recommend a stance. C. Budget (7:32 to 8:13) Balance $1174.61 87 Members – 56 members joined in 2008 – 31 joined in 2009. No members on Sahm and Hermalinda. Kerry has deposited the dues received in the past few months (from memberships). The 56 people who joined in 2008 will need to re-up to maintain their memberships in the MNA. Kerry will send excel spreadsheet to Kat. We need to become self sufficient besides the Front Porch Flyer. Although the neighborhood is family oriented, we might need to include non-family activities (adult activities). It was suggested that we have a recruitment event (e.g. – have a meeting be more of a party). Maybe we should lower the amount to bring in. Have applications? Maybe budget 4 events a year (2 children's, 2 adult) that we can fund. Potential events: plant fest; 4th of July event; neighborhood night out; Halloween; 1 additional children's event? Maybe we should start taking applications on January 1st. Maybe we should award more weight to the past successful events. We might get some great new ideas though! The membership committee will create the application and bring the screening criteria to the next meeting. The application will be open from January 1st to January 31st. We have a PO Box 49123, Austin, TX 78765 at the speedway post office. Drew has the other PO Box key. The state and federal forms will not allow PO Boxes to be used. Kerry will ask Cherrywood to see what they do for the forms. We spoke about moving to Frost Bank. Kerry wanted to take a vote to move our account from Wachovia to Frost Bank. Motion (Kerry) : We will move all MNA accounts from Wachovia to Frost Bank. Seconded by Kat. Votes: Yes(9) No(0) Abstain(0) Kerry will share the Mint.com account information with the SC to view (but not edit) account balances, etc. If we want to pursue the business memberships, we should talk about it. If the FPF has a “roster” for the business memberships. The businesses would “join” the MNA at a higher rate and would be able to say that they are members. They would also be mentioned in the FPF. Maybe the FPF can spotlight new residents and businesses in the future. The business membership might require a receipt that is more robust than the typical receipt. D. Schools (8:13 to 8:27) In the last month the schools committee went door to door to gather more robust data for projections by Catellus (Dee). Claudia is drafting a letter to AISD outlying the concerns for the need of a school. What the schools committee has heard is that AISD is closer to determining which “unnamed” school is going to be named in the previous bond package. The schools committee had a table at the Halloween committee. Catellus only had 110 responses to their online questionnaire. The MNA schools committee went door-to-door to try to garner more responses. AISD has a monthly meeting – perhaps it would be beneficial to attend “en mass” to a meeting. Schools are critical to the neighborhood as a whole. If there are ways we can communicate this, we should try to capture this focus. III.Upcoming Meetings A. November B. December IV.Additional Business ANC has distributed a traffic survey which will be distributed to the SC. We should actively promote Mueller's activity in the Comp plan. Drew has put together an article for the FPF about the Massage business going into Mosiac. It took her 7 months to get the lease finalized. Kat – plant fest tentative date – Saturday April 10th. Same day as the MNA meeting. Meeting ended at 8:37
    Elect Kevin Ludlow for State Rep!
    Pro-LGBT Rights, Pro-Pot, Pro-Net Neutrality, Anti-TSA, Anti-NSA. Support Kevin Ludlow for the TX House of Representatives District 46
    PromiseLand Learning Center
    MOMS!! Mother's Day Out Program starts Aug 15! Register by June 30. Near Mueller. Also offering full-time care, 6 weeks-5 years.
    512-220-6381
    Weird Window Cleaning
    Contact us to receive a free estimate for your window cleaning and experience the same service provided to so many of your Mueller neighbors. Mention this ad for 10% off.
    512-944-3700
    15 yrs exp. Insured.
    view more ads »
    © 2005 - 2012 cityCore, LLC   |   terms   |   privacy