citiCite
FORUMS PHOTOS GROUPS EVENTS WIKI
CREATE ACCOUNT | LOGIN
Mueller Community (change)
Search
You are NOT logged in.
RSS
Viewing Search Results for 'Betsy'
The following table will display your current search results.
Page Header Image
 
Transportation Committee meeting notes 18Nov2015
posted by danx111 on November 18th, 2015 6:32 PM
Thanks, Betsy
Transportation Committee meeting notes 18Nov2015
posted by danx111 on November 18th, 2015 6:32 PM
Thanks, Betsy
Transportation Committee meeting notes 18Nov2015
posted by danx111 on November 18th, 2015 6:32 PM
Thanks, Betsy
Transportation Committee Meeting notes 26 Aug 2015
posted by danx111 on August 26th, 2015 6:46 PM
Thanks, Betsy
Transportation Committee Meeting notes 26 Aug 2015
posted by danx111 on August 26th, 2015 6:46 PM
Thanks, Betsy
Transportation Committee Meeting notes 26 Aug 2015
posted by danx111 on August 26th, 2015 6:45 PM
Thanks, Betsy
Transportation Committee Meeting notes 25 Feb 2015
posted by John Heron on February 27th, 2015 8:15 PM
Thanks Betsy When I last talked with Dee Desjardin about six weeks ago, she said Catellus would have another Berkman meeting. Any word??John Heron4416 Berkman
Transportation Committee Meeting notes 25 Feb 2015
posted by John Heron on February 27th, 2015 8:15 PM
Thanks Betsy When I last talked with Dee Desjardin about six weeks ago, she said Catellus would have another Berkman meeting. Any word??John Heron4416 Berkman
Transportation Committee Meeting notes 25 Feb 2015
posted by John Heron on February 27th, 2015 8:15 PM
Thanks Betsy When I last talked with Dee Desjardin about six weeks ago, she said Catellus would have another Berkman meeting. Any word??John Heron4416 Berkman
Sidewalk Trip Hazard Maintenance
posted by Matthew C on November 22nd, 2014 10:13 AM
Sounds like yours fell into category 3), per Betsy's post above. In which case, that sounds equally hideous and cheap, but it does make me feel better about the grinding in front of our home! :P
Transportation Committee meeting notes 12 November 2014
posted by Mateo Barnstone on November 16th, 2014 2:12 PM
Standing in this quarter for Betsy HiltonMost of the meeting was spent discussing the Parking Transportation and Management District (PTMD) ordinance that will be going before City Council in December.City Engineering Department:_City is rearranging department so that engineers are assigned to districts. Lee Austin will be assigned to District 9 (and Mueller).PTMD (Catellus - City):-City has been working on developing a PTMD ordinance that will be implemented at Mueller as a pilot program for the city. -Boundaries will conform to boundaries of Mueller PUD-Based on Parking Benefit District (PBD) successfully in use on West Campus.-Will allow revenue share from revenue derived from meters to be used for community benefits. After the city recoups its expenses, 51% of the revenue profits would go for use within the PTMD. -PTMD will allow the city flexibility and responsiveness to use all the parking tools (already in use and some new innovative concepts) in Mueller to manage the intense demand for parking that is coming and balance competing priorities. -Initially there will be ~150 meters in the town center area.-Revenue share can be used in variety of ways including way-finding, park maintenance, power cleaning sidewalks, public art, beautification and other potential improvements.-Puts City/Catellus in a pro-active, rather than reactive state in dealing with parking issues and enables the city to anticipate and address problems before they arise. -PTMD tools include:paid parking w/revenue profit share, RPPs (see below), coordination of shared parking (office and retail), management for safety and visibility, monitoring and enforcement, paid short term parking, customer and commercial service zones, valet, car sharing, ground transportation and bus loading/unloading.-Additional tools might include: Special event parking and shuttle coordination, transportation/transit support, and trip reduction programs such as way finding and signage, care and bike share, bike corrals and bike parking, support for employer trip reduction and transit pass programs.-As part of initial implementation, there will be Residential Parking Permits (RPP) in use for residential areas experiencing spillover from commercial areas. Area under consideration for RPP in initial rollout is Simond to Philomena and Mattie to Berkman. -Meetings with residents will begin this month to discuss implementation of RPP._Lake Park parking lot. Surveys show 80-100% occupied all the time. Many non-park users of the lot (construction workers, Thinkery Visitors). POA has tried signage, and education. Also attempted enforcement with towing. Towing was problematic - difficult to discern who was proper user of lot and improper user of lot. The solution will be to implement paid parking in the Lake Park lot. - During development - the PTMD will be managed by PTMD Oversight Committee consisting of City of Austin Parking Enterprise, City of Austin Transportation Department, City of Austin Economic Development Department and Catellus with stakeholder input.-Post Development Catellus to be replaced by ECTC and Mixed Use POAs-Ordinance will go before Austin City Council on 12/11/2014An e-mail address has been established to send your parking questions or concerns. This will be the quickest way for you to get a response about your issue and allow it to be directed to the proper person. The email address is:parking@austintexas.gov subject: Mueller PTMDIf you would like to see the on-line slide presentations go here:http://www.muelleraustin.com/uploads/journal/ptmd-pilot.pdfOther Misc. Parking issues:-No parking signs now along Airport Blvd due to safety concerns and fire hazards.-Parking striping problem on Berkman has been fixed.Berkman Drive:-Dynamic driver feedback signs have been implemented in October. The temporary signs were used. These are rotated in per city policy for 1 week at a time. No word on when they will be cycled back. -More permanent driver feedback signs are being worked on but require a city ordinance which is in the works.-Re-striping of Berkman will be implemented in the interim condition to take some of the perceived road-width away from drivers. -Construction continues to move north. Aldrich Roundabout:Project has been delayed. Unclear when start date is. In the meantime Catellus has replanted landscaping that was previously removed in anticipation of work to be done.Intersection of McBee and Mattie:Concerns about this intersection due to the site-lines being blocked by the AMLI building. This intersection will be reconfigured to push the stop zone further out and allow for site lines not blocked by the AMLI. Crosswalks at Paseo:A suggestion has been made to Catellus to consider raised crosswalks (such as the one at the Thinkery) at all the cross streets along the Paseo. This is a new idea and Catellus will consider it.The meeting went long so were weren't able to get the following updates:-Construction updates-One-way alleys-51s Street Vision Plan
Transportation Committee meeting notes 12 November 2014
posted by Mateo Barnstone on November 16th, 2014 2:11 PM
Standing in this quarter for Betsy HiltonMost of the meeting was spent discussing the Parking Transportation and Management District (PTMD) ordinance that will be going before City Council in December.City Engineering Department:_City is rearranging department so that engineers are assigned to districts. Lee Austin will be assigned to District 9 (and Mueller).PTMD (Catellus - City):-City has been working on developing a PTMD ordinance that will be implemented at Mueller as a pilot program for the city. -Boundaries will conform to boundaries of Mueller PUD-Based on Parking Benefit District (PBD) successfully in use on West Campus.-Will allow revenue share from revenue derived from meters to be used for community benefits. After the city recoups its expenses, 51% of the revenue profits would go for use within the PTMD. -PTMD will allow the city flexibility and responsiveness to use all the parking tools (already in use and some new innovative concepts) in Mueller to manage the intense demand for parking that is coming and balance competing priorities. -Initially there will be ~150 meters in the town center area.-Revenue share can be used in variety of ways including way-finding, park maintenance, power cleaning sidewalks, public art, beautification and other potential improvements.-Puts City/Catellus in a pro-active, rather than reactive state in dealing with parking issues and enables the city to anticipate and address problems before they arise. -PTMD tools include:paid parking w/revenue profit share, RPPs (see below), coordination of shared parking (office and retail), management for safety and visibility, monitoring and enforcement, paid short term parking, customer and commercial service zones, valet, car sharing, ground transportation and bus loading/unloading.-Additional tools might include: Special event parking and shuttle coordination, transportation/transit support, and trip reduction programs such as way finding and signage, care and bike share, bike corrals and bike parking, support for employer trip reduction and transit pass programs.-As part of initial implementation, there will be Residential Parking Permits (RPP) in use for residential areas experiencing spillover from commercial areas. Area under consideration for RPP in initial rollout is Simond to Philomena and Mattie to Berkman. -Meetings with residents will begin this month to discuss implementation of RPP._Lake Park parking lot. Surveys show 80-100% occupied all the time. Many non-park users of the lot (construction workers, Thinkery Visitors). POA has tried signage, and education. Also attempted enforcement with towing. Towing was problematic - difficult to discern who was proper user of lot and improper user of lot. The solution will be to implement paid parking in the Lake Park lot. - During development - the PTMD will be managed by PTMD Oversight Committee consisting of City of Austin Parking Enterprise, City of Austin Transportation Department, City of Austin Economic Development Department and Catellus with stakeholder input.-Post Development Catellus to be replaced by ECTC and Mixed Use POAs-Ordinance will go before Austin City Council on 12/11/2014An e-mail address has been established to send your parking questions or concerns. This will be the quickest way for you to get a response about your issue and allow it to be directed to the proper person. The email address is:parking@austintexas.gov subject: Mueller PTMDIf you would like to see the on-line slide presentations go here:http://www.muelleraustin.com/uploads/journal/ptmd-pilot.pdfOther Misc. Parking issues:-No parking signs now along Airport Blvd due to safety concerns and fire hazards.-Parking striping problem on Berkman has been fixed.Berkman Drive:-Dynamic driver feedback signs have been implemented in October. The temporary signs were used. These are rotated in per city policy for 1 week at a time. No word on when they will be cycled back. -More permanent driver feedback signs are being worked on but require a city ordinance which is in the works.-Re-striping of Berkman will be implemented in the interim condition to take some of the perceived road-width away from drivers. -Construction continues to move north. Aldrich Roundabout:Project has been delayed. Unclear when start date is. In the meantime Catellus has replanted landscaping that was previously removed in anticipation of work to be done.Intersection of McBee and Mattie:Concerns about this intersection due to the site-lines being blocked by the AMLI building. This intersection will be reconfigured to push the stop zone further out and allow for site lines not blocked by the AMLI. Crosswalks at Paseo:A suggestion has been made to Catellus to consider raised crosswalks (such as the one at the Thinkery) at all the cross streets along the Paseo. This is a new idea and Catellus will consider it.The meeting went long so were weren't able to get the following updates:-Construction updates-One-way alleys-51s Street Vision Plan
Notes from Oct. 29th POA Mixed-Use Board of Directors meeting
posted by doug on November 2nd, 2014 10:11 PM
Thanks, Betsy. I vote yes on pool volleyball for the new pool! [:cheese:]
Opening for 2nd POA Board member!
posted by Betsy on August 26th, 2014 6:38 PM
At the Annual meeting (I think it will be on Nov. 5th), we'll get to elect a 2nd board member to the POA Mixed-Use board. That will mean 2 of the 5 board members will be elected by residents! I appreciate being elected last year to fill the first spot. Info will be coming out from Jennifer Harvey over the next few months. She's already posted this on http://www.muelleraustinonline.com: Candidacy opportunity By Jennifer Harvey on August 20, 2014 The Mueller Mixed-Use Community Association will be electing a second resident Board Member this fall. If you are interested please use the candidacy fom found at the top of Community Documents tab. Be thinking about good candidates and talk to them about running. Or, maybe you want to run yourself! Anyway, I wanted to put this out there to start the conversation. Betsy
Transportation Committee meeting notes 20 Aug 2014
posted by Chase Norris on August 20th, 2014 6:35 PM
Thanks for posting this Betsy! What exactly is going on with the roundabout at Aldrich and Mueller?
Transportation Committee meeting notes 20 Aug 2014
posted by Chase Norris on August 20th, 2014 6:35 PM
Thanks for posting this Betsy! What exactly is going on with the roundabout at Aldrich and Mueller?
Transportation Committee meeting notes 20 Aug 2014
posted by Chase Norris on August 20th, 2014 6:34 PM
Thanks for posting this Betsy! What exactly is going on with the roundabout at Aldrich and Mueller?
New website for POA dues?
posted by henningspruth on August 8th, 2014 3:57 PM
Thanks Betsy - for the past years, I also have been using direct debit, but according to schroed's post above they now want to charge $2.95.I have not touched the payment settings yet, and will wait if they debit my account on the usual monthly schedule.Henning
POA Board meeting notes 30 July 2014
posted by Betsy on July 30th, 2014 8:21 PM
POA Board meeting July 30, 2014 Present: Dee Desjardin, Carl Paulson, Betsy Hilton, Fei Dai, Jennifer Harvey Absent: Greg Weaver Work session - no discussion of fines, assessments, legal, etc. Tommy Tucker off board, Greg on - due to personnel changes at Catellus Pool - Pool attendance lower than last year (before Bartholomew) - Carl attended pool committee meeting. Committee gave comments last Fall on old 2008 plan. Designers incorporated many comments. Reviewed again in Feb - depth, chairlift. Most of the committee okay with design, although some think it should be deeper. Plan is to be 4’6” deep in lap lanes. Will have chair lift similar to Ella Wooten. - Chlorine levels - reports several weeks ago and again this weekend. Test reports from Monday looked okay. Landscape maintenance: - New bids received - 5 proposals - Prairie - Wildflower Center says it’s doing well. Does it need more paid maintenance rather than reliance on volunteer efforts. Suggestion for POA to discuss with Friends of the Prairie regarding long-term sustainability of volunteers to mark invasive weeds - 46 trees replaced since May 1, approximately 20 more still needed Pond Maintenance - Adjustments to fountains made to reduce misting - Removing invasive elephant ears - 200 gallons of trash is removed each month Resident Concerns - Filming - Catelllus discussed process with City. City relies on film crew to work out issues. City wants to support filming. Discussion about asking our POA rules committee to look into whether rules are needed to govern homeowner decisions to allow filming that impacts other neighbors. POA has no role if filming is all in city ROW. Only notified if POA property is used. - Street tree maintenance - Letters have been sent to property owners who need to replace trees, telling them to replace them this fall. If not done, POA will replace trees and bill owners. Prior discussion about POA taking over tree maintenance - majority of residents opposed that. Notices about limbing up trees were sent in April. Another reminder will be sent this Fall or POA will do the work and bill owners. - Apartment dwellers can buy a season pass to use Mueller pools during public hours. Contact Jennifer for details. Public hours at 2nd pool may be staggered from hours at first pool to allow broader range of possible hours for non-owners. - Play equipment in common area on Threadgill - POA to check with attorneys to see if POA bears any liability. Lots of events in the next few months: Upcoming POA events  Social Hour – July 30th (Tonight!)  New Resident Orientation – September 3rd  Music in the Park – September 18th  Fall Garage Sale – September 20th  POA Annual Meeting – tentatively November 5th  Fall Festival – November 8th Upcoming Developer & External events  Ultimate Field Day – September 6th  Time’s Fit Foodie – September 13th (Road Closures)  HAMM Music Night – September 23rd  McCallum Movie Night – September 27th  Movie in Your Park – October 3rd  National Night Out Kickoff – October 4th  Movie in Your Park – October 10th  Movie in Your Park – October 17th  ALS Walk – October 18th (Road Closures)  Light the Night – October 25th (Road Closures)  VIVA Streets – October 26th (Road Closures)  FAAN FARE – November 1st  Campfire Kids Walk – November 8th  Cure Search – November 15th  Ridgetop Fun Run – November 22nd  Tower Lighting – December 2nd  Lights of Love – December 5th (Road Closures) Annual meeting - tentatively Nov. 5th at Seton.
More & Better Cycling Road System
posted by L K on June 4th, 2014 6:58 AM
Betsy, that's great that you have gotten cooperation from the developer for protected bike lanes on Berkman. Do you know if the developer is including protected bike lanes and bike roads for the newer development east of Berkman? It would be easier to plan for bike traffic in parallel with vehicle traffic rather than after the fact.Linda
Provide your input on I-35 changes that impact Mueller
posted by Melanie McAfee on May 30th, 2014 10:10 AM
Betsy,How about a neighborhood petition? I would be willing to walk some blocks and I am sure others would as well. Most people will not go to the meeting but I think most would sign a petition. It will be awful to lose our access to 35!
Provide your input on I-35 changes that impact Mueller
posted by Melanie McAfee on May 30th, 2014 10:10 AM
Betsy,How about a neighborhood petition? I would be willing to walk some blocks and I am sure others would as well. Most people will not go to the meeting but I think most would sign a petition. It will be awful to lose our access to 35!
Provide your input on I-35 changes that impact Mueller
posted by Mateo Barnstone on May 29th, 2014 10:26 PM
As Betsy stated, the original TxDOT proposal eliminated the exit and entrance ramps to Airport Blvd. from/to the upper deck. As the plan also eliminates all the exit and entrance ramps from the lower deck this would have left us with no direct connection to Airport Blvd. from or to the main lanes of I-35. Traffic would be forced to exit south of the upper/lower deck split and make way along the frontage roads or through the neighborhoods to get to Airport and Mueller.TxDOT heard from the MNA and others about this issue (and others) - and have proposed three alternative ways that Airport Blvd. and Mueller might connect to I-35.1. A bypass of Airport Blvd. off of the upper deck. Under this proposal there would be no direct access to Airport Blvd. from the main lanes of I-35 under this proposal for northbound traffic. Northbound traffic would enter Mueller via Barbara Jordan. 2. An exit from the upper deck of I-35 similar to the existing exit. This option would not allow any traffic to go northbound onto Airport and there would be no exit connecting the main lanes of I-35 to Barbara Jordan or 51st Street. Traffic trying to get to Windsor Park would likely end up making their way through Mueller via Aldrich/Mueller Blvd.3. An exit ramp off of the lower deck that connects to the frontage road south of 38th 1/2 Street between Edgewood and Concordia. This option in some ways offers the best options - it restores a lower deck exit to 38th 1/2 Street and allows traffic access to both Airport Blvd. and Barbara Jordan/51st Street. However, it involves having to push out the frontage road into a number of businesses along the frontage road and bring that traffic a bit closer to Cherrywood Residents on Robinson. As this option will impact Cherrywood the most directly, their residents are looking closely as to whether they favor or disfavor this exit.As for the entrance ramp, from Airport Blvd, TxDOT seems to think this is problematic for traffic. They haven't committed to keeping it, but it hasn't been definitively decided to remove it either.These proposals can be found at this link below under the heading "Airport Ramping Options"http://www.mobility35.org/news_room/workshop_materials.aspxIt's important that TxDOT hear from you all about these issues. If the connections to Airport Blvd are important, please do attend one of the sessions and be sure to voice your opinion on it.
Transportation Committee meeting notes 21 May
posted by Regina Emmitt on May 25th, 2014 2:13 PM
Twice within the last week, I have been driving south on Berkman at 30 mph and been PASSED by impatient drivers who have headed on toward Manor Road. I hope the speeding can be "calmed" soon, no matter which method is used. Thanks, Betsy, for your volunteered time and expertise in keeping Mueller neighbors informed.
Transportation Committee meeting notes 21 May
posted by danx111 on May 25th, 2014 11:13 AM
Mateo, what's the difference between traffic circles and roundabouts?
Transportation Committee meeting notes 21 May
posted by danx111 on May 25th, 2014 11:13 AM
Mateo, what's the difference between traffic circles and roundabouts?
Transportation Committee meeting notes 21 May
posted by Mateo Barnstone on May 25th, 2014 9:54 AM
Those are traffic circles - probably not appropriate for Berkman. I agree with Betsy that Catrellus and the city need to take a good hard look at roundabouts. And I would among those opposed to road humps - there are better solutions for traffic calming.
Transportation Committee meeting notes 21 May
posted by Mateo Barnstone on May 25th, 2014 9:53 AM
Those are traffic circles - probably not appropriate for Berkman. I agree with Betsy that Catrellus and the city need to take a good hard look at roundabouts. And I would among those opposed to road humps - there are better solutions for traffic calming.
Transportation Committee meeting notes 21 May
posted by Andrea Houston on May 25th, 2014 9:22 AM
Thanks for the link Betsy. That's very helpful. It actually supports part of what I was thinking though--with enough stop signs or other deterrents people who are speeding down Berkman to use it as a cut through may go back to whatever route they used before Berkman opened through 51st. I'm not a huge fan of roundabouts, at least not the one Mueller and Aldridge, because people clearly don't know what lane to be in to turn where. And people seem to slingshot around it to go north on Mueller from Airport. I'm not sure if the redesign is to address those issues. I'm really not set on stop signs or for or against any particular remedy. I'm not an expert here, and most of the solutions others have proposed are completely new to me. I just want some solution. I'd also be in favor of lowering the speed limit altogether (assuming people obeyed it) because I think that would support Mueller being a pedestrian and bike friendly neighborhood. Pedestrian fatalities increase with speed limits. And right now, if you've parked on Berkman, especially the northern sections that have the bump out for the bike lane, it can be down right terrifying to get in and out of your car with cars going as fast as they are.
Transportation Committee meeting notes 21 May
posted by Andrea Houston on May 25th, 2014 9:20 AM
Thanks for the link Betsy. That's very helpful. It actually supports part of what I was thinking though--with enough stop signs or other deterrents people who are speeding down Berkman to use it as a cut through may go back to whatever route they used before Berkman opened through 51st. I'm not a huge fan of roundabouts, at least not the one Mueller and Aldridge, because people clearly don't know what lane to be in to turn where. And people seem to slingshot around it to go north on Mueller from Airport. I'm not sure if the redesign is to address those issues. I'm really not set on stop signs or for or against any particular remedy. I'm not an expert here, and most of the solutions others have proposed are completely new to me. I just want some solution. I'd also be in favor of lowering the speed limit altogether, because I think that would support Mueller being a pedestrian and bike friendly neighborhood. Pedestrian fatalities increase with speed limits. And right now, if you've parked on Berkman, especially the northern sections that have the bump out for the bike lane, it can be down right terrifying to get in and out of your car with cars going as fast as they are.
Transportation Committee meeting notes 21 May
posted by Andrea Houston on May 25th, 2014 9:15 AM
Thanks for the link Betsy. That's very helpful. It actually supports part of what I was thinking though--with enough stop signs or other deterrents people who are speeding down Berkman to use it as a cut through may go back to whatever route they used before Berkman opened through 51st. I'm not set on stop signs or any particular remedy. I just want some solution. I'd also be in favor of lowering the speed limit altogether, because I think that would support Mueller being a pedestrian and bike friendly neighborhood. Pedestrian fatalities increase with speed limits. And right now, if you've parked on Berkman, especially the northern sections that have the bump out for the bike lane, it can be down right terrifying to get in and out of your car with cars going as fast as they are.
Transportation Committee meeting notes 21 May
posted by Andrea Houston on May 25th, 2014 9:15 AM
Thanks for the link Betsy. That's very helpful. It actually supports part of what I was thinking though--with enough stop signs or other deterrents people who are speeding down Berkman to use it as a cut through may go back to whatever route they used before Berkman opened through 51st. I'm not set on stop signs or any particular remedy. I just want some solution. I'd also be in favor of lowering the speed limit altogether, because I think that would support Mueller being a pedestrian and bike friendly neighborhood. Pedestrian fatalities increase with speed limits. And right now, if you've parked on Berkman, especially the northern sections that have the bump out for the bike lane, it can be down right terrifying to get in and out of your car with cars going as fast as they are.
Transportation Committee meeting notes 21 May
posted by Andrea Houston on May 25th, 2014 9:14 AM
Thanks for the link Betsy. That's very helpful. It actually supports part of what I was thinking though--with enough stop signs or other deterrents people who are speeding down Berkman to use it as a cut through may go back to whatever route they used before Berkman opened through 51st. I'm not set on stop signs or any particular remedy. I just want some solution. I'd also be in favor of lowering the speed limit altogether, because I think that would support Mueller being a pedestrian and bike friendly neighborhood. Pedestrian fatalities increase with speed limits. And right now, if you've parked on Berkman, especially the northern sections that have the bump out for the bike lane, it can be down right terrifying to get in and out of your car with cars going as fast as they are.
Transportation Committee meeting notes 21 May
posted by Andrea Houston on May 25th, 2014 9:14 AM
Thanks for the link Betsy. That's very helpful. It actually supports part of what I was thinking though--with enough stop signs or other deterrents people who are speeding down Berkman to use it as a cut through may go back to whatever route they used before Berkman opened through 51st. I'm not set on stop signs or any particular remedy. I just want some solution. I'd also be in favor of lowering the speed limit altogether, because I think that would support Mueller being a pedestrian and bike friendly neighborhood. Pedestrian fatalities increase with speed limits. And right now, if you've parked on Berkman, especially the northern sections that have the bump out for the bike lane, it can be down right terrifying to get in and out of your car with cars going as fast as they are.
Transportation Committee meeting notes 21 May
posted by Andrea Houston on May 25th, 2014 9:14 AM
Thanks for the link Betsy. That's very helpful. It actually supports part of what I was thinking though--with enough stop signs or other deterrents people who are speeding down Berkman to use it as a cut through may go back to whatever route they used before Berkman opened through 51st. I'm not set on stop signs or any particular remedy. I just want some solution. I'd also be in favor of lowering the speed limit altogether, because I think that would support Mueller being a pedestrian and bike friendly neighborhood. Pedestrian fatalities increase with speed limits. And right now, if you've parked on Berkman, especially the northern sections that have the bump out for the bike lane, it can be down right terrifying to get in and out of your car with cars going as fast as they are.
Transportation Committee meeting notes 21 May 2014
posted by Mateo Barnstone on May 22nd, 2014 9:25 AM
Thanks Betsy!w/r/t Berkman - unless the lane widths are significantly reduced, I'm not sure we can get the desired "street friction" that would slow down traffic. Berkman is a (mostly) residential street and I doubt will ever have the kind of activity even at full build out. Because of its position, it is frequently and understandably used for cut-through traffic - since it's wide and straight, people are treating it like a speedway. Until that changes, the problem will remain. I would definitely support looking at various traffic calming measures such as roundabouts or traffic circles, textured pavement or use of belgian block, raised intersections, chicanes, neck downs, bulb outs and the like. If all that fails - the widen the sidewalks and reduce the lane width to 9 or 9 1/2 feet. When Catellus discussed this before they invited residents of Berkman only. I'd like to think this is an important enough issue for the whole community that all interested residents, whether on Berkman or not, should be included in the stakeholder process.In the interim, I support trying to remove a single space on the north west corner on a case-by-case basis. This might help a bit with visibility and getting traffic onto Berkman without removing the bulk of the much needed on-street parking.
Transportation Committee meeting notes 21 May 2014
posted by Grace on May 22nd, 2014 8:42 AM
-Mueller/Aldrich roundabout reconstruction-I guess I missed this. What are they doing? If it's easy to describe here... thx, Betsy.
Transportation Committee meeting notes 21 May 2014
posted by Grace on May 22nd, 2014 8:37 AM
Betsy, I agree/am in favor of removing one parking spot on the NW corners on Berkman for improving sight distance when trying to turn left. This seems like a reasonable interim measure until something permanent can be created to slow the speeding.
Pedestrians' right of way?
posted by Sol Acosta-Houston on May 15th, 2014 11:37 AM
Thank you all for your comments!As for the Transportation Code Betsy pointed out, it was somewhat helpful:"Notwithstanding Subsection (a), a pedestrian may not suddenly leave a curb or other place of safety and proceed into a crosswalk in the path of a vehicle so close that it is impossible for the vehicle operator to yield."In this particular case, the jogger was not at the corner, she got there as I was already turning. The more I think about it, the fact that I got to turn before she reached the corner and she was NEVER at risk leads me to believe she got angry bc she had to slow down --one of those idiots who think their workout is more important than their life. Oh, well.@Regina -- Glad to hear there are still people out there with common sense as pedestrians and behind the wheel!@Pat and Chase -- Glad to hear most posters agree kindness and caution are the rule of thumb. I'd like to reiterate, however, that the full stop as a courteous right of way gets really tricky when trying to turn off Berkman onto any perpendicular street because of the high speeds and high traffic. In those cases, I'm also fearful that my being rear-ended might cause me to hit the pedestrian crossing in front of me! In any case, whatever the pedestrians laws say do not matter bc the law is being ignored by those who are driving behind me at speeds well over 30 mph and refuse to slow down to allow me to turn safely. Bottom line, it seems the point has come where, instead of trying to understand the law in dealing with messy traffic and people who lack a preservation instinct (joggers, walkers, cyclists who think their rights somehow going to shield them from a speeding car) I'm just going to have to find a way to avoid using *the street where I live.* [sigh]
Construction at 7:15 Sunday morning, terrible workers
posted by S. A. on May 12th, 2014 12:36 PM
I'm sorry that happened to you. I second Betsy's comment about having Catellus get in contact with the builder. Workers may have been approved for work, but there is no excuse, in any language, for the way you were treated. If it were me, I would ask that those workers be moved to another location so there would not be another insulting or threatening interaction.
I'm one bicycle short
posted by Betsy on March 11th, 2014 8:53 PM
We have one you can borrow for the weekend. I think we have a lock and key too, and maybe a helmet if it fits properly. Send me a PM to arrange pickup.Betsy
Transportation Issues
posted by Mateo Barnstone on March 2nd, 2014 1:21 PM
Betsy, Thanks again for the update. Re: the Mobility 35 plans - among the changes many changes proposed for Segment 4 (MLK to Airport Blvd.) are the remove of the intersections at 38th 1/2, 32 and Manor road across I-35 and the implementation of "Texas Super Streets". The following link is to a video that provides a good demonstration of how these operate and how they will impact our access to central Austin across I-35. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycA_jlmvHsA&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Transportation Committee meeting notes 26 Feb 2014
posted by Larry Plutko on February 28th, 2014 8:05 AM
Great leadership and work by the committee, Betsy, especially as Mueller expands and the population density increases.
Transportation Committee meeting notes 26 Feb 2014
posted by Larry Plutko on February 28th, 2014 8:04 AM
Great leadership and work by the committee, Betsy, especially as Mueller expands and the population density increases.
Transportation Committee meeting notes 26 Feb 2014
posted by Larry Plutko on February 28th, 2014 8:04 AM
Great leadership and work by the committee, Betsy, especially as Mueller expands and the population density increases.
Transportation Committee meeting notes 26 Feb 2014
posted by Regina Emmitt on February 27th, 2014 11:28 AM
Thank you for such a thorough report, Betsy. This gives us good information about a lot of issues that affect us daily. Hopefully, everyone will take the time to read it!
Changes to Home Depot and Wells Fargo parking lot access from Barbara Jordan
posted by Lorrie on February 1st, 2014 7:07 PM
Thanks for the info, Betsy!
Notes from 29Jan2014 POA work group meeting

posted by Steve on February 1st, 2014 12:32 PM
Betsy,Thank you for posting all this great info. It is much appreciated!
Free small computer table
posted by Laura Worth on January 31st, 2014 8:14 AM
Hi betsy!I'm actually interested in this if it's still available. Please do let me know if so!Thanks,Laura
Mueller Residents: Your Input is needed! Online Mapping Survey
posted by Rachel Tepper on January 9th, 2014 4:04 PM
Hi Betsy, Thanks for notifying me of this. I've just attempted to fix that problem, you should be able to scroll now! http://www.mappingmueller.com
Weird Window Cleaning
Contact us to receive a free estimate for your window cleaning and experience the same service provided to so many of your Mueller neighbors. Mention this ad for 10% off.
512-944-3700
15 yrs exp. Insured.
PromiseLand Learning Center
MOMS!! Mother's Day Out Program starts Aug 15! Register by June 30. Near Mueller. Also offering full-time care, 6 weeks-5 years.
512-220-6381
Doug Gorton Professional Painting
Interior & Exterior Painting, Fence & Deck Staining, Hand Wash Houses, Screens, & Solar Panels
(512) 799-8384
view more ads »
© 2005 - 2012 cityCore, LLC   |   terms   |   privacy