citiCite
FORUMS PHOTOS GROUPS EVENTS WIKI
CREATE ACCOUNT | LOGIN
Mueller Community (change)
Search
You are NOT logged in.
RSS
Viewing Search Results for 'Antone Street on the Park'
The following table will display your current search results.
Page Header Image
 
Transportation Committee meeting notes 18Nov2015
posted by Betsy on November 18th, 2015 4:32 PM
Transportation Committee Meeting notes18 Nov 2015- Phase 9a residential under construction (Zach Scott to Simond)- Start 9b (Simond to Philomena) - full buildout of Berkman - start next 60 days. Will also build Vaughan up to HEB- Finish Berkman late 2016- Ongoing work in Town Center continues. Roads around future theater will open in 30 days or so, but there may be intermittent closures due to adjacent building construction- Aldrich to 51st, Mueller to Philomena - finish about Spring 2016- Zach Scott extension to Manor is probably 2018 completion- Oct 2015 data compared to Dec 2013—- volumes increased from ~5000 to ~8500—- speed - <20% of people are complying with speed limit (30 mph), even on the southbound section south of Zach Scott where the roadside is fully developed.- 85% speed running about 35mph but no plans to change speed limit- Catellus not drawing final conclusions yet, still monitoring and using this data to anticipate what the needs might be in the future- Will continue working with group to see how to address issues- Northbound exhibiting more variation in the speeds, due in part perhaps to the interim conditions on the east side of Berkman- Talked about doing license plate studies to help discern origin/destination- Look at expanding use of bulbout islands (cycle track cuts through). Perhaps these could be rain gardens.- Concerns about exiting parked cars on Berkman - feels too close to traffic.- City may pilot the use of rectangular rapid flashing beacons at crosswalks - could be considered at select locations. (See http://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/intersection/resources/techsum/fhwasa09009/ for more info)- Dynamic speed display signs (also collects data) - “Permanent installations” also may be piloted by the City. Idea is that the community pays fee to City and covers maintenance first two years. City maintains for years 2-3. If speeds aren’t dropping as a result of the installation, City may remove the sign. Pilot will help show whether these are effective when installed on a long-term basis.- Warrants for stop signs and signals were discussed at the Berkman meeting- Roundabouts - not off the table. Discussion about why not to do earlier? Catellus still thinks it’s premature. Girard wants to keep them on the table, but doesn’t want to preclude the possibility of rail going through it in the future. We’d lose the cycle track through the intersection if roundabouts are installed, but cyclists could merge with vehicular traffic or utilize the sidewalk - their choice.- Discussed other traffic calming tools that may be explored.- Anticipate keeping the working group in place for several years, as road evolves and conditions change.- Use of higher visibility crosswalk markings across Berkman was suggested.- Discussed whether cycle track could be extended southbound from Antone to Tom Miller? No… bike lane should be observed more after development goes in adjacent to Pecan Street office and on-street parking is utilized. The road narrows before Tom Miller and Catellus doesn’t believe there’s room for a cycle track.Aldrich roundabout - City looked at Catellus’ plans and says the money isn’t available to construct the design that was developed. They propose to make some interim improvements using striping and bumps to better channelize traffic. May allow parking along right curb on Aldrich as you enter Mueller to make the approach single lane. They’ll develop some drawings to review next meeting.Extending Lancaster bike lane - some previous opposition to getting rid of the parking. Public process would be required. Those parking spaces were counted in the number of spaces needed for the retail businesses, so Amica will talk to Nathan again to see whether removing them would even be possible. If it’s possible, suggestion to have public input process to consider removing parking and extending bike lanes.Signal going in on Barbara Jordan at Home Depot - poles up now and should be active within a few months.
How to grow a tree taller
posted by misselaine on April 29th, 2013 11:16 AM
I just had a lovely walk around Mueller and with all those leaves now on our trees, I noticed how many low branches are still on many (most) peoples trees. I wanted to stress the importance of cutting these branches because the tree is putting its energy into growing those boughs thick and strong when they will eventually have to be cut anyways because people need to be able to walk under them without playing the limbo game (might I add that people on the far right or left side of the walk should not have to duck. I like to walk with my husband, side by side without either of us getting decapitated). If these branches are removed, then the tree can put its energy into growing taller and creating a nice canopy! There are great examples on Tom Miller on the park side of the street or a short part of the wedge on the east side of Antone that have correctly trimmed branches. We future shade lovers thank you in advance!
NOEL Tower Lighting Tuesday, 6 PM
posted by bdolezal on November 26th, 2012 10:43 AM
Just a friendly reminder the NOEL Tower Lighting is tomorrow, Tuesday, Nov. 27 on Berkman between Tom Miller and Antone streets. The event begins at 6 PM with the lighting ceremony at 7 PM with Austin City Council Member Kathie Tovo. Live music performances are scheduled, including the Reagan High School Drum Line, plus kids' activities. If you live nearby, please consider walking so our neighbors have more access to surrounding street parking. Thanks, The Mueller Team
Mueller Streets: Death Row for Trees
posted by ret1ree00 on June 15th, 2012 1:01 PM
Wilson, Here is what RVi ( The Landscape Designers) gave us some time back for each street in our phase of Mueller.-bur oaks (Quercus macrocarpa) on Tom Miller,-cedar elms (Ulmus crassifolia) on Pinckney, also Mattie and Simond (but not along the Lake Park, bald cypress there on Simond)-Drake elms (a variety of lacebark or Chinese elm, Ulmus parvifolia 'Drake') for Emma Long-lacebark elms (standard U. parvifolia) on Zach Scott-chinquapin oak (Q. muhlenbergii) on McCloskey -live oaks (Q. virginiana) on Berkman-Mexican sycamore (Platanus mexicana) on Threadgill, Scales, Sahm, Hermalinda-Mexican white oak (Q. polymorpha) (aka Monterrey oaks as original trademark) on Camacho-Shumard oak (Q. shumardii) on Littlefield, Antone-Texas red oak (Q. texana) on Lawless, Gochman, Hargis, Cal RodgersJoe
Late model white Lincoln with the license plate # TKF-156
posted by Kathleen Malcom on March 13th, 2012 5:58 PM
I was wondering if anyone knew something about the late model white Lincoln with the license plate # TKF-156. Over the last few months it has been parked for several days at various locations and then it will move, but it always stays in the hood, though not near a home. It's been parked at Berkman & Camacho, then on the Lake Park street, and now it's at Berkman & Antone. One of the registrations on it expired 3-11. Does this car belong to a resident? It's getting kind of creepy because everytime I'm out on a walk it's staring at me from a new location!
Transportation Committee meeting notes 29 Feb 2012
posted by Betsy on February 29th, 2012 6:55 PM
Mueller Transportation CommitteeMeeting notes - Feb. 29, 2012 (Carl Paulson)- Berkman extension (1/2 width)--- Simond to Robert Browning by June for Section VI homes.--- Robert Browning to Philomena should be completed by December- Contract has been awarded for the infrastructure at the Market District including Berkman from Philomena to 51st. Work should be completed by October 2012.- Design work has started on the next residential phases - north of Section VI and also east of Berkman.- IH-35/51st St design - prelim design now. City doesn’t expect construction for 2-3 years. Studies underway. Roundabout being considered at 51st St. intersection with the southbound frontage road.- Striping on IH-35 northbound frontage road into Mueller retail area needs improvement.- Barbara Jordan issues near Home Depot. Medians were extended with paint but still having crashes with driveway. Next City will install candlesticks to better define the intersection space. (Should occur in next month or so.) If crashes are still problematic after 6-month review, permanent changes may be made prohibit the movement across Barbara Jordan between the shopping centers on each side. (Rick K)- Command Center (CTEC) - discussion about need to reduce speed limit on 51st. Road diet planned for 51st east of Berkman - possibly next year when the road is resurfaced. Hopefully that will result in speed reduction.- Construction planned on CTEC entrance to replace the bridgeSpeed limit on 51st at Berkman is now 40mph. City asked whether they could reduce speed to 35mph. After 51st Vision is built, speeds should slow due to the design and then it could be restudied and speeds lowered based on the 85% speeds.- 51st & Berkman - City would like to build roundabout. Catellus’ current plan has a signalized intersection but Catellus is now working with City to look at a roundabout option. That decision may not be made before the market district infrastructure is started. City recognizes that a lot of coordination would be needed to convince stakeholders that pedestrian crossings of 51st would be safe at a multilane roundabout.- Status of 51st St Vision - Jim Adams will likely present at next Transportation Committee meeting (May 30). Jessica will post link to info on muelleraustinonline.com. Bond development task force has been briefed on the vision. (Renee Orr)- Speeding mitigation only - Cut-through mitigation may be added next year- Requestor must live on the street- Not intended for major arterials- Speed & volume counts will be taken - if speeds >3mph over speed limit, then street qualifies and will be included in ranking of requests. Ranking considers crash data, frequency of speakers, presence of sidewalks, whether street is bike route, neighborhood support for proposed solutions, etc. Will fund requests until money runs out. Old unfunded requests automatically re-considered each 6 months as new funds are allocated, until request expires after two years. - Submittals received from Mueller for Berkman, Antone and Zach Scott. Catellus thinks the other 1/2 of Berkman may be completed in 2 years.- Results of speed studies in Mueller. Speeds shown are the 85% speeds, meaning that 15% of traffic exceeds these speeds:---Berkman - NB 34.3, SB 34.9 => qualifies for further study---Zach Scott - WB 32.9, EB 33.8 => qualifies for further study---Antone - WB 31.9, SB 31 => doesn’t qualify for further study- City will develop speeding mitigation concept plan and coordinate with City services (fire, EMS, trash, etc.) Then plan goes to requestor for coordination and statement of neighbor support for proposed action.- Data will be shared with APD for their use in planning enforcement.- Urban rail update - no update and no Council action has been taken to prioritize segments and alignment is not defined. Manor Rd. and Airport Blvd alignments both being evaluated as part of the environmental impact study.- Signal at Zach Scott - City reviewing and warrants not yet met. City will get wtih signals department to see if interim improvement for bike/ped access across airport could be provided. Alan Hughes (Airport corridor PM) was suggested as a speaker at our meeting May 30.- Roundabout improvement still being design. No schedule for construction. City & Catellus resistant to interim improvements, preferring to focus efforts on the ultimate solution. Concerns should be reported to 311. - Bike/ped access on interim Berkman (1/2 width) up to Market District - a temporary trail will be provided outside the roadway so we’ll be able to ride our bikes to the grocery!- Bike Boxes or ‘2 stage turn queue’ will be used at some intersections- City working on educational materials- City looking at removing the oversaturation of No Parking signs
Tuesday Oct. 4th is Neighbor Night Out!!
posted by Kathleen Malcom on September 27th, 2011 2:26 PM
Camacho Street will be participating in NNO from 7:00PM to 9:00PM. Tom & Jan Harrigan at 4213 Camacho will sponsor this gathering for Camacho residents from Berkman to Antone! We'll set up in front of their home across from Lake Park and hope you'll stop there on your way home from the Hangar NNO event. We are asking Camacho residents to donate a dessert, snack, wine/beer or punch for children. *** We are including the new Mueller Houses on Simond in our Camacho event. ***
Neighborhood Night Out; 10-4-11
posted by Kathleen Malcom on September 12th, 2011 7:02 PM
Camacho Street will be participating in NNO from 7:00PM to 9:00PM. Tom & Jan Harrigan at 4213 Camacho will sponsor this gathering for Camacho residents from Berkman to Antone! We'll set up in front of their home across from Lake Park and hope you'll stop there on your way home from the Hangar NNO event. We are asking Camacho residents to donate a dessert, snack, wine/beer or punch for children. I have a 6 ft table that I will set up with paper goods in front of 4213. Feel free to bring a lawn chair and stay to visit!
Garage Apartment for Rent
posted by Christine Tuero on May 16th, 2011 9:36 AM
We live on Antone and have a garage apartment coming available soon. The lease is up at the end of June, although, our renter purchased a home and would like to leave sooner. The apartment is 509 square feet, and is a one bedroom/one bathroom unit. The rent includes cable, internet, water, electric, gas, garbage and recycling. Also, we have a full sized washer and dryer in the unit, and the rental includes one pool pass and an off street parking spot. We are offering the apartment for a 12 month lease, beginning July 1st, 2011. Due to the close proximity to our home, we are not allowing pets. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. ~Christine
Mice, mice and a fox.
posted by Idgy V. on April 7th, 2011 8:06 PM
I live on Antone near Threadgill. Ever since our neighbors sadly moved away and took their fabulously predatorial cat Slinky with them, we've been seeing mice. With the infrastructure and new housing across the street, our garage has become some sort of mouse refugee center. I got traps today.As for fox/coyote sightings: I don't know of any coyotes. BUT I have definitely seen the fox several times, or several foxes one time each. Every time, it was just before dawn and where the big senior construction is, on Berkman right there, or in the park there at Manor and Berkman. I've seen it so often that when I pull onto Berkman from Manor and it's in the middle of the night, I go really slow so I don't smack it. I've gone walking a lot on the old airport roads behind the new construction and I've never seen the fox during the day.On an unrelated note, the UT practice field wild parakeets were hanging out again in that same area the other day.
19 March 2011 General Membership Meeting notes
posted by Betsy on March 19th, 2011 1:27 PM
19 March 2011 General Membership Meeting – Mueller Neighborhood Association The meeting was held at the Browning Hangar and led by Chair, Grant Fisher. - Grant introduced officers of the MNA steering committee (SC) and asked other SC members to raise their hands. We’ll need nominations for SC members in May, for elections in June. Several current SC members are reaching the end of their term limit (3 years) and won’t be eligible to serve next year. Be thinking about who to nominate. – Grant reported that our current balance is about $4300. - Mary Arnett spoke on behalf of C.L.A.S.P., which stands for Citizen Led Austin Safety Partnership.  This organization brings together volunteers and neighborhood leaders who want to address crime prevention and safety at the neighborhood level.  Group of folks got together a year ago to work on crime issues in own neighborhoods. Jack Darby with Krimelabb helped them get together as a way to network with other neighborhoods. Every neighborhood is different - customize for what works for your neighborhood. Mary talked about the variety of Neighborhood Watch types, from the less formal (getting to know your neighbors) to the more formal (organized block captains, telephone trees, block meetings, etc.) For chronic problems, Mary recommended working with our APD District representative. Some neighborhoods have a community safety coordinator who coordinates regularly with APD. Some neighborhoods have hosted Safety Fairs at home improvement stores. Some have neighborhood watch signs they put on vehicles and perform patrols. Barton Hills is an example. CLASP can help with training and organization, networking. They work with APD. Mary talked about how good communication can really save lives - mobilize to find children or others who have wondered off, etc. - Rick K from Windsor Park - About 8 neighborhoods work together to put together a forum for City Council candidates in Places 1, 3 and 4. It is Tuesday 6:30 - 8:30 p.m. at Memorial United Methodist Church, 6100 Berkman (go to the back of the building for the forum). April 14: Deadline for registering to vote May 2-10: Early voting May 14: Election Day - All three grant applications were awarded as follows $125 Stitch n Bitch - Bears for kids in Africa & Haiti and premie caps for children at Dell & Seton $40 to Boomers for Chili Cookoff trophies $125 to the Friends of the Prairie for ongoing activities in support of the prairie. (Ashley Fisher) - - Energy Substation at Morris Williams golf course - start construction in July and online in November. The landscape plans are being closely reviewed. - Wildflower Terrace - Planning to occupy in November - Simmons Vedder breaking ground on another apartment complex next to Mosaic - A few buyers recently closed on garden homes (near Antone & Hermalinda) - Greenway Lofts - almost sold out. - Open House - April 2 and April 16 at Mueller Central - advertise next phase of housing. Time TBD - watch for more info. - AISD Performing Arts Center - no official word yet on whether it will be at Mueller. AISD has said they are moving forward on preferred site but haven’t said where that is. They’ve been asked to come speak to PIAC. Catellus can’t sell land to a governmental entity without approval from Austin City Council. - Children’s Museum - in fundraising mode and still on board. - Catellus spin-off from ProLogis is complete. - Kat March 24 - HH at Paco’s Tacos patio, 5-7pm. Some appetizers will be provided by the committee. It’s an age 21+ event. Purchase own drinks. April 29 - LGBT Progressive Dinner - listed on CitiCite under Events. April 1 - swimming pool opens April 2 - 10 a.m. Polar Bear plunge. Some tacos and coffee will be provided. - Garreth & Kathy - Resident’s Council has been formed and will help with communication, etc.   Council members were selected through an open call for volunteers.  Council members include: Dan McAtee Susan Beckman Grant Fisher Dusty Harshman Corky Hilliard Dennis Mick Scot Salmon Jason Sears Rajesh Sukamaran The Pecan Street Project will offer a supplemental rebate of $0.50/watt for solar PV installations at Mueller. The project’s demonstration house will be at Berkman and Antone. Not sure when construction will start. Subdivision of the lot has to go to City Council. - - Plant Fest April 9 at 10:00. Volunteers are needed to help with kids activities, etc.! Please contact Janelle Dozier to volunteer. - Mueller Homes - Mueller Builder Guidelines for noise control during construction. Call Dee Desjardin at Catellus if builders aren’t complying. - Welcome Spring around the Lake - 1:00 p.m. tomorrow at Lake Park. Great chance to gather as a community to welcome Spring to Mueller. - Lee Thomson - New Exec Director of the Mueller Foundation. Their priorities are affordable housing and community strengthening. One focus area is Grades 4-8 in schools that Mueller feeds into. - Austin Energy rate increase - Kathy Sokolic is on the public involvement committee for that. Residential rates will be discussed at next meeting on April 6. Submit questions at least a week in advance. Let Kathy know if you have questions, etc. More info at http://www.rates.austinenergy.com. - Several residents are meeting with Lighthouse Solar tomorrow night (Sunday) at 5:30 p.m. at Betsy & Joe’s. Join us if you have questions regarding solar installation. Meeting adjourned and I forgot to notice the time!
Grade School Boy on "Wave" skateboard
posted by Betsy on February 12th, 2011 9:48 PM
I passed two boys this afternoon on Berkman. Where no cars were parked, they were over in the parking area, but then they got into the traffic lane to go around parked cars. In and out several times. I slowed down and spoke with them through the window, pointing out that they'd be safer out of the street. One boy said they were in the bike lane but when I pointed out there is no marked bike lane, he said 'oh'. I told them that some cars go fast on Berkman and it's really not safe. They said "okay" and as I drove off, I heard one say "oh man....."Also, AFD was out today testing fire hydrants. Joe was watching while they opened the one at the corner of Antone & Mendez. Two boys (not sure if they're the same ones I saw) were heading East on Antone and they were in the Westbound travel lane (i.e. against traffic). A car was behind them and a firefighter told the boys to get out of the road.I don't know if either boy is Karie & Marcus' son, but I do hope the parents of these boys see this and have a talk with them.
MNA General meeting notes 15 Jan 2011
posted by Betsy on January 15th, 2011 12:12 PM
15 Jan 2011 General Membership Meeting – Mueller Neighborhood Association The meeting was held at Frost Bank and led by Chair, Grant Fisher. – Our balance is $1921.26. Applications will be received through Feb. 28 for MNA Grants to support community activities. Watch mc.com for more info. Maximum grant amount is $125. - Our District Representative from the Austin Police Department, Antwain Tarver, spoke to us about crime statistics, prevention and safety. We are in the Charlie 3 sector bounded by 51st/Springdale/Ed Bluestein/MLK/IH 35. - Our contract security are off-duty APD officers so he coordinates with them - Use common sense... think like a thief and make your property less attractive to them - Email Office Tarver at antwain.t.tarver@ci.austin.tx.us with concerns about issues like speeding. He can (and has) run radar in targeted areas. There was a lot of discussion about speeding, largely on Zach Scott, Antone and Berkman. - Commander’s Forum - Held the 1st Monday of each month, 6:30 p.m. at the East Substation, 812 Springdale Rd. He encouraged us to attend. - General crime stats for Austin - Homicides and burglaries are up. – We have two vacant seats. Nominations were: - Shellie Shores on Pinckney - Keith Romel on Camacho - Travis Michel on Berkman (not present) Shellie and Keith were elected to serve the remainder of these terms (through May). - Corky is working with a group to count the homeless on Jan. 23rd from 1-7pm. 70% of homeless are women & children. Counts impact the money Austin receives for providing services to the homeless. Training will be Jan. 20th. Corky will post the info and welcomed anyone who wants to volunteer. - Ashley gave a brief update on the last meeting of the Mueller Plan Implementation Advisory Commission (PIAC). --- City is moving forward with design work for improvements to the IH-35 & 51st St. interchange, with involvement from Windsor Park --- City and Catellus are working on revisions to improve operations at our roundabout. --- Two affordable homes have been sold and stayed in the affordable program. Most buyers of the affordable homes fall in the 70-80% MFI range. --- Two new tenants coming to the Mosaic - a landscape design firm, and a salon --- The next phase of housing will be on this side of Berkman and north of Simond. - The entire steering committee will be up for election in May and about 1/3 of the current members will have reached their term limit of 3 years. - Garreth mentioned the Pecan Street Project and encouraged anyone unfamiliar with it to talk to him or Kathy. - Joe has scheduled a tree workshop on Sat., Jan. 29 from 9-11 a.m. at 1909 Emma Long. This will be a hands-on workshop with arborist Marcus Smith talking about tree care and demonstrating how, and why, to prune your trees. Now is the time... come to the workshop for tips! Dan Pacatte from Austin Tree Farms will also be there. - Janelle discussed landscape activities that will be held throughout the year including nature photography. Watch mc.com for details. - Kathy Sokolic mentioned that Austin Energy is raising their rates. Those with solar are in a different rate class... contact her for info. Meeting adjourned about 11:15 a.m.
Mueller Tower Lighting Celebration – Dec. 1, 6 - 8 p.m.
posted by bdolezal on November 19th, 2010 6:02 PM
The holidays are fast approaching, which means it’s time to once again reignite an Austin tradition from the 1960s with the NOEL lights atop the former Mueller control tower. Please join us for the 5th annual Tower Lighting on Wednesday, Dec. 1 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. with the lighting ceremony around 7 p.m. The celebration includes a Mueller activity book for children, a photo booth and holiday music and treats for the entire family. New this year: (1) The event will take place next to the tower near Berkman and Antone streets. With limited street parking available, Mueller residents are encouraged to walk to the event so surrounding neighbors can more easily attend and enjoy the festivities. (2) Catellus is asking all attendees to donate new or gently used books to the Austin Children’s Shelter. A representative will be available to collect the books while providing information about the Shelter and its volunteer needs. We hope you and your family can make it out for what will surely be a festive event and a great way to start the holiday season.
Another truck parked at the park & Parking Rule Thread
posted by GarrethWilcock on November 18th, 2010 9:39 AM
It's a good question, whether answered indirectly or not. And it extends to the higher density Mueller Houses. Some of these condos may have a single car garage. I'm curious what happens in the current Garden Courts which admittedly are smaller. Twelve homes is very different to forty-nine.If there are 49 new Garden Homes all in one spot, then there's probably going to be more parking on the surrounding streets - Threadgill, Antone, Tom Miller and Hermalinda. While the official answer might be "park in the garage", I'm sure there'll be an adjustment period as people move in. And families with three or four cars.
New POA parking rules - FAIL
posted by dhs on November 16th, 2010 9:19 AM
Now that I understand the new rules, I am extremely disappointed in both the rules and the process by which they were made. I attended three meetings about parking, and a clear majority of the people at each of these meetings favored some restricted form of on-street parking for residents. The restrictions that were discussed mainly related to the number or size of vehicles, and not the length of time the vehicle is parked.The new rules essentially mean that people can park as many vehicles on the street as they want, subject to some vague (define: move) requirement that will be impossible to enforce. If you think otherwise, consider the complaint registered above by Daniel:"Can someone explain what is going on with the older, blue pickup truck parked on Antone in front of Wooton Park? (...)It has been parked in the same spot for the past 10 days or so."Try to prove this legally, or even to argue it intelligently. Short of a webcam operating 24/7 with some external verification, all you have is one person's word.And consider that the city apparently doesn't even try to enforce the total parking time rule at public meters, and these are for much shorter periods (usually 2-3 hours downtown), and they have meter monitors to boot! (pun not intended)As much as I dislike the rule, I even more strongly dislike the process by which it was made. A group selected in secret and meeting in secret and blatantly ignoring the public "input" on the matter (it isn't really input when it's so completely disregarded) - George III would have been proud.Completely disgusted,Doug
Transportation Committee meeting notes 9Sept2010
posted by Betsy on September 9th, 2010 9:45 PM
The transportation committee met today. Since the committee mostly includes representatives of surrounding neighborhoods, we're now going to deal with more global issues during these meetings, and then I'll stay for a smaller meeting with Catellus and the City to discuss issues that are internal to Mueller. Here are my notes: - It sounds like this will happen at some point. Catellus has determined that it is feasible from an engineering standpoint but the City reported that it doesn't yet meet the warrants for a signal. The City will re-evaluate whether signal warrants are met on roughly a 6-month interval. Catellus' consultant has done an operational analysis for the full buildout condition and the intersection should operate well with a signal. They were asked to provide information on anticipated queuing lengths on both ZS and Airport for the full buildout condition, and compare these to the space available between Airport and Tom Miller, and the length of the left turn bay on Airport. – Included in the November bond package. The City is looking at low-cost immediate improvements including signing, edge markings where approach vehicles enter the roundabout, and adjusting the timing of the signal at Airport and Aldrich to minimize traffic backups. They were not planning to do any striping from 2 lanes to a single lane now but were asked to reconsider that option to improve safety. – The City is re-evaluating the consistency of signing and striping for parking, as well as the need for one-way operations in the alleyways. – Windsor Park representative stressed the importance of making this crossing of 51st St. safe for bicyclists and pedestrians, since many from across 51st will want to walk to the market district. The current proposal doesn't include any pedestrian improvements on 51st for this crossing traffic. There's also a desire to extend the bike lane from the west all the way to Berkman, and install more visible crosswalk markings (ladder or continental style). Catellus was asked to provide the committee with a copy of the layout currently under consideration. – The median on 51st is non-existent due to multiple layers of asphalt on the roadway. Concern was expressed for the safety of pedestrians who use this as median refuge to wait for traffic to clear. The City plans to take a look at this area. – The connection on 53rd St. from Cameron to the northbound IH 35 frontage road is very congested. The Windsor Park representative suggested that signs could be installed for eastbound and westbound traffic on 51st routing them through the regional retail area to access the northbound frontage road. This might relieve some of the burden on 53rd. The City said they would take it under consideration. – General complaints were brought forward about the striping out of the right lane in this area. Many people drive over the stripe and they are losing their visibility. Catellus' consultant will discuss this issue with TxDOT. – Discussion about possibly eliminating the exit near 53rd St., forcing exiting traffic to use the ramp just north of Airport. It was noted that this ramp can be difficult to access from the lower level of IH 35. If that exit were closed, the entrance ramp could be moved forward north near 53rd, serving Mueller regional retail traffic better and lengthening the weave for merging/diverging traffic. The committee will look at this further to determine whether there is a recommendation we want to make to TxDOT in this regard. – Wilshire Woods and Cherrywood neighbors across Airport Blvd. Generally support keeping these features in place to avoid cut-through traffic in their neighborhoods. – Several mentioned that this issue remains a concern. Crossing at Zach Scott will be easier once a signal is installed. Bicyclists can cross as pedestrians but are legally required to dismount their bicycles and cross as pedestrians. This is due, at least in part, to the fact that there are no approved crossing signals specifically for bicyclists. The City mentioned that Washington, DC is experimenting with a bicycle signal and the City was asked to investigate whether we could do likewise. – There was discussion about TxDOT's long term plans for IH 35. There have been previous studies but funding is very limited. For information about ongoing studies and upcoming meetings, go to http://www.my35.org. – The need for a stop of the #350 bus on Airport at Zach Scott was discussed. Wilshire Woods and Cherrywood would support an additional stop. Current northbound stops are at Anchor and north of the fire station. The City explained that Capital Metro has given those requesting this stop some misinformation that they are working to clarify. A sidewalk along Airport is part of the Mueller plan but due to the high speeds, absence of curb on Airport, and drainage ditch, the trail along Tom Miller was developed as an alternative sidewalk. The City and Catellus will discuss this issue further with Capital Metro, and see what sidewalk connections would be necessary to support a bus stop here. – Funding for studying improvements to better serve Windsor Park are included in the November bond package. – Catellus will plan these after meetings to discuss issues specific to Mueller residents. They are also looking at other ways to better communicate with residents on transportation issues. – In some areas, parking signs and/or stripes appear to allow parking in locations prohibited by state law, such as within 15 feet of a fire hydrant, 20 feet of a crosswalk at an intersection, or 30 feet upon the approach to a stop sign. Catellus will get with the City to conduct a review and implement changes as needed. – Catellus and the City are discussing the possibility of converting the alleys to 2-way operation. This would eliminate a lot of signs and would be expected to lower operating speeds since people would anticipate meeting another vehicle. – Catellus is reviewing the operations at several driveways where sight distance is limited and/or speeding on the street is a problem. – Speeds on these long, straight streets were discussed along with potential solutions such as a 4-way stop on Zach Scott at Camacho, at the entrance to Lake Park. Catellus will seek input from the City on what solutions they might consider. Catellus will also explore the possibility of installing signs such as 'children at play' and emphasize to residents our responsibility to drive with consideration for others. Lowering the speed limit to 25 mph was also discussed as a possibility but no decisions were made. I think that's about it.... many of these things will take a lot of coordination and many more discussions to resolve. I'm happy to continue collecting input on these issues. Our next meeting will be in late October so I'll need to forward my agenda items to Catellus mid-October.Betsy
Transportation Issues
posted by Betsy on June 30th, 2010 8:46 PM
Meeting notes by Betsy HiltonMueller Transportation Committee meeting on June 30, 2010The committee is chaired by Leo Lopez at Catellus. Representatives from several adjacent neighborhoods (Cherrywood, Windsor Park & JJ Seabrook) were in attendance, along with staff from Catellus’ consultant, HDR, and the City of Austin.Agenda Items that we had time to discuss:- Leo welcomed everyone and gave an update on upcoming major activities in Mueller - basically the same info that Greg presented at the developer update. Infrastructure construction for garden homes at Hermalinda/Antone/Tom Miller should start about July 9. - Update on traffic counts - City presented numbers to PIAC a month or two ago. No huge increases were observed but they hadn’t compared the actual numbers to the volumes predicted in the Traffic Impact Analysis (TIA) prepared when the development was being planned. The City seemed to think that might be a worthwhile comparison to review.- Traffic Signal at Zach Scott & Airport - Plans are complete, including the work necessary to deal with the Spring causing water issues in the ground boxes for the signal. Catellus will pay for the signal but the City will do the installation. There was some discussion about combining it with the funds transfer for the next phase of residential housing but Catellus agreed that it could be separated so as not to delay the signal installation. The City staff present were not positive the signal had met the necessary traffic warrants to be installed, so they will check. We also talked about the failure of some motorists coming from Airport (esp. left turners) to yield to pedestrians crossing on the trail near Tom Miller. The crosswalk already has high visibility markings and a pedestrian crossing warning sign so we’re not sure what else can be done. City will review whether a NO U-TURN sign is present for the difficult northbound to southbound movement.- Parking signage/striping review - In areas where parking spaces are marked, they are not always marked and signed consistent with State Law (prohibited 15’ from fire hydrant, 20’ from crosswalk, and 30’ on approach to a Stop Sign). Also discussed whether alley connections to streets are legally defined as ‘intersections’ requiring these same parking restrictions. State law [Transportation Code 541.303 appears to exclude alleys.] There was also general discussion about the many signs in the neighborhood. City philosophy may be changing and some believe many of these signs could be removed, where they are redundant with state law (which all drivers are supposed to be familiar with). [See Chapter 7, Texas Drivers Handbook, available at http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/InternetForms/Forms/DL-7.pdf. HDR and City staff will review the placement of signs/stripes and the need for such.- Roundabout improvements - City’s new Assistant Director for Traffic Engineering, Gary Schatz, has some roundabout experience and has recommended physical changes to our roundabout to narrow the two lane approaches to one-lane prior to entering the roundabout. A ‘truck apron’ would also be installed, concentric to the center island, to further clarify that this is a one-lane roundabout. These improvements should significantly improve traffic operations and safety, especially as volumes continue to increase. The City plans to include this work in an upcoming bond package, with construction likely in 2011. Traffic already backs up into the roundabout during the afternoon rush, so they are also looking at improvements at the signal, including potentially a 2 lane left turn movement onto Airport Blvd. We also discussed the possibility of installing higher visibility crosswalk markings to help encourage drivers to stop for the signal before blocking the crosswalk. The City will look into this.- Bike movements to cross Airport - Cherrywood representative Girard Kinney mentioned that bicyclists crossing Airport tend to make an illegal maneuver to cross the road (due to the Longhorn configuration) and asked whether a bike path could be marked parallel to the crosswalk. There was discussion about whether a bicyclist legally must dismount to use the crosswalk as a pedestrian, or whether it’s legal for them to use the crosswalk while riding the bicycle. The City will look into this. A similar issue is also present at all crossing of Airport Blvd, where people want to get across in the crosswalk as quickly as possible.- Dan Daniels from JJ Seabrook discussed their effort to look at issues with cut-through traffic on Tillery and safety on Pershing. He suggested that when looking at current traffic volumes, the baseline should not be what existed when the airport was still open. They also have issues with sidewalks on FM 969 being right next to the road, and issues with the Airport/MLK intersection. Speeds and volumes on FM 969 are very high. JJ Seabrook will reach out to this committee to coordinate as needed.- Windsor Park representative, Rick Krivoniak, discussed concerns about the 51st and Berkman intersection, esp. that it will be huge once rebuilt as part of the Market District (based on what he sees at the Berkman/Manor intersection). Also, the eastbound bike lane on 51st just stops before it gets to Berkman. Some additional street width is needed, or a connection to the Mueller trails/sidewalk.We were running over our allotted time so we quickly discussed the following:- Schedule another meeting before September so we can keep things moving- Invite Cap Metro to a future meeting to discuss transit service to the neighborhood- Bike lane improvements - City plans to install on Manor from Airport to 51st street when they resurface the street under the next bond program (maybe 2011). City will look at whether interim lanes could be installed on Mueller Blvd. up to 51st.- Street repairs at Threadgill & McCloskey - supposed to begin ‘1st week of July’ but we should get an update from the City via Catellus.- Pavement cracking around manholes, esp in Phase II. Phase II had a different road contractor (Rodman) than Phase I (J C Evans). Manholes are very fixed (concrete, deep, etc), whereas asphalt pavement is called ‘flexible pavement’ for a reason, and does move. Some cracking is to be expected and Catellus says the folks they’ve checked with at the City don’t anticipate large-scale problems around every manhole.We didn’t get to talk about:- Airport Blvd. makeover and bike lanes up to Lamar- Sight distance for vehicles pulling onto Zach Scott from side streets- Update on options to fix the jughandle issues (at IH 35/Cameron/51st) that impact Windsor Park neighborsEV charging stationsLet me know if you have additional or continuing concerns and I’ll do my best to bring them forward at future meetings.Thanks,Betsy
General Membership meeting minutes: 12 June 2010
posted by Betsy on June 12th, 2010 12:05 PM
The meeting was held at the picnic tables outside the pool at Ella Wooten park, where meetings will be held throughout the summer months. – We have $2300+ and are in good shape. We'll likely be able to fund another round of MNA grants this Fall so be thinking about potential requests. Check with Kerry to pay your dues if you're not current. Dues are only $10/year. – Catellus proposes changes to two areas of Mueller. These had been proposed to go to Planning Commission together but Catellus recently split them into two actions. Part of the large lot on Hermalinda will be subdivided into about 48 zero lot line homes. That went to Planning Commission last week. Catellus proposes to take two Mueller Home lots on Mattie (facing Lake Park) and re-subdivide as four custom home lots. That action has not been heard by the Planning Commission yet. – Ann Jerome gave an overview of the election process and allowed the 12 nominees to introduce themselves. There are 13 positions. Michael Adams was nominated at the meeting. Ballots were distributed and 35 ballots were received. Results will be posted on mc.com. - Ian Dietrich was introduced as the project manager for the Demonstration Project in Mueller. PSP is a consortium focused on bring renewable energy innovation to Austin. They propose to implement smart grid systems in homes for energy conservation and management. They will bring in 1000 volunteers from Mueller, with the first 100 (Group A) as early adopters. A mechanical meter will be installed in Group A homes to validate the smart meter readings and to measure baseline energy consumption for use in future comparisons. Group A participants will have first shot at later suites of products from PSP. Contact Ian at streetproject.org">idietrich@pecanstreetproject.org to sign up. – Various groups at Mueller took the opportunity to explain their group interests to those at the meetings. Those who spoke were: - Bicycle (Michael) – Sunday coffee shop rides, monthly kids ride on Mueller trails, training and teaming for various charity rides. - Yard Sale, Block Captains, Baby Boomers (Kat) – Yard sale was successful. Block captains help collect and distribute information. Email them at blockcaptain@muellercommunity.com. Boomer Baby Social Club – sign up at mc.com. - Book Club (Melanie) – Melanie has list of books they're reading in the coming months. They meet 4th Tuesday of the month. - Mueller St*tch and B*tch (Ashley) – knitting and other sewing crafts. Meet the third Thursday of the month. - Supper Clubs (Dusty) – Groups of 4 families rotate each year. Call for those interested will be in Nov/Dec for the upcoming year. - Mueller Education Action Team (MEAT) (Meghan) – Reminder to vote in School Board runoff today. Organized around supporting East Austin schools and discussion around the future Mueller school. - Friends of the Prairie (Janelle) – Educational and social events in support of the prairie. June 21 will start monthly weed education and marking events. Christina Martin will present an overview of how the prairie came to exist, how it's maintained and threats to the prairie on June 26 from 10-12, location tbd. Watch mc.com for info. - Landscape (Joe) – Committee of residents working with POA and Catellus. A few more residents would be welcomed. Visit to Austin Tree Farm set for June 19 from 10-12. Information on Austin Wildlife Habitat Challenge posted online. - Babysitting Coop (Felicia) – Trade babysitting services and exchange information on play dates, etc. Contact Felicia if interested... more are welcome but the group uses a private web group to exchange schedules, etc. - Fourth of July events (Felicia) – organized by Resident Activities committee sponsored by Catellus. Delwood parade will end at Lake Park to join ours. Ours will start about 9:00 (or so) and come down Simond, then Mattie and circle the pool twice. Costumes encouraged! There will be games and Catellus giveaways at the pool. Felicia will post volunteer needs on mc.com. In the evening, there will be a potluck block party on Tom Miller, between Antone and Sahm, with music, etc. We'll be able to view the fireworks at Lady Bird Lake from there. - Front Porch Flyer (Drew) – Please submit articles and/or photos for inclusion. Everyone gets the Flyer but not everyone is on mc.com, so this is a great way to promote groups to the entire neighborhood. Meeting adjourned about 10:50 a.m.
General membership meeting minutes: 13 March 2010
posted by Betsy on March 16th, 2010 8:13 PM
– Grants have been paid out. We are still accepting dues ($10/year) that will be used, in part, to fund future grants. Grants funded include the Boomer Chili Cookoff, Easter Egg Hunt, Halloween event, Babysitting during the meeting with Dr. Carstarphen, Kids events during Plant Fest, Fourth of July events, and the Stitch and Bitch Blanket raising. on April 10 following the MNA meeting at Ella Wooten Park. About 75 people attended last year despite miserable weather. The event includes 15-20 exhibitors, speakers, prairie tours, plant clinic, kids activities and tours of private gardens. AISD's Clifton Career Development School will be selling plants to benefit their horticulture program. met with Mark Williams, AISD School Board President to strategize regarding a Mueller school. Brainstorming ideas such as a flex school were discussed. His message was that we need to be on the same page as Catellus and surrounding neighborhoods who are active with the issues regarding East Austin schools. That coordination will be stepped up moving forward. Also, the Maplewood principal has resigned due to health reasons and AISD is looking for a replacement. A parent group has been selected to provide input on the qualities they want to see in a principal. There will be a brainstorming opportunity on March 23 and we need Mueller parents involved! Watch http://www.muellercommunity.com (mc.com) for more information. -Looks like Catellus has a builder lined up to finance and build the first Mueller Homes. -About 42 yard homes will be built on the vacant land bounded by Antone, Berkman, Tom Miller and Hermalinda. These may be configured in garden court clusters. -Hangar Use – PIAC subcommittee chaired by Corky Hilliard will host a public meeting, probably in April, to discuss options for public use of the hangar. -April 13 meeting will focus on transportation issues such as the results from current traffic studies, the jughandle, etc. The roundabout was discussed with Betsy Hilton, new member of Catellus’ Transportation Committee, reporting that the City is planning to implement some striping and signing changes to improve roundabout operation. There was discussion about the tall grasses that block the view of pedestrians and therefore, pose a safety concern. A motion passed unanimously for MNA to send a letter to Catellus and the POA recommending the removal of visual barriers such as these, and suggesting a few other related improvements. Residents were reminded to call 311 to report all safety concerns. Multiple complaints on the same issue does increase the likelihood of it being addressed more quickly. -During the transportation discussion, Dan noted that in his experience as an EMT, most crashes result from driver distraction (cell phones, etc.) and speed. Betsy will try to work with Dan on a related article for the Front Porch Flyer. – This is our resident-driven community newsletter. We have more additional space this year for content. Please email articles and/or photos to newsletter@muellercommunity.com. Ashley gave a summary of the effort to date to select a site for a new Austin Energy (AE) substation that will serve Mueller and some surrounding development. Since the substation is largely necessitated by the development at Mueller, the PIAC has supported locating this infrastructure on the Mueller site. However, the Morris Williams Golf Course has proposed a site on their property in exchange for some funds from AE that could be used to refurbish their clubhouse, etc. Since this seems like a win-win for everyone involved, the PIAC has not opposed this potential site. Other sites previously considered and eliminated by AE include near the film studio, near the Central Texas Emergency Communication Center, and along 51st Street but off the Mueller property. City representatives have stated in a public forum that they don’t want the substation sited at Mueller because they won’t collect any tax revenue from the property for the substation. The Pecan Springs neighborhood has some concerns with the golf course location. Their representatives were unable to attend our meeting since their association meets at the same time. They were developing their official position on this issue. Austin City Council will consider this issue and the transfer of funds to the golf course at their March 25 meeting. Jerry reported that the East Austin Sector of the Austin Neighborhoods Council (ANC) has discussed the substation issue. They don’t oppose the siting on the golf course but want to focus on the design process to ensure neighborhood input is considered. Adam Pyrek mentioned that it’s important we have continued involvement throughout the project development process or we can lose our chance to voice concerns at important stages. The MNA unanimously passed a motion by Kim Wine, seconded by Garreth Wilcock and amended by Ashley Fisher, to take the following stand on the substation issue: -Catellus will be hosting a discussion on the Market District (Berkman at 51st) on April 6th at 7:00 p.m. Watch mc.com for more information. -Community-wide yard sale on May 15 on Simond Ave. If you want to sell items, email muelleryardsale@gmail.com to register for a spot (no charge). -Applications to serve as a resident member of the Pecan Street Project Executive Committee are due Sunday, March 14 -The Landscape Committee is arranging a tree trimming workshop on March 27 at 10:00 a.m. They’ll post the event to mc.com. Meet at 4001 Mendez St. for the workshop. Meeting adjourned about 11:30 a.m.
Disappointing parking ticket - too close to hydrant...
posted by C. Frimire on February 1st, 2010 9:24 AM
I agree with you, Belinda, for once. But don't get used to it.Sincerely,Charles Frimire - Living on Antone, Parking on the street and my garage, driving at least once every 3 days to make it legal (or should i saw hoable).P.S. I already have a tape measure, and while I suspect you were being facetious, I believe it to be an indispensable part of my driving toolkit. In addition to measuring allowable distances to hydrants and curbs, by measuring the space between two parked cars, one can easily calculate the required turning points for successful parallel parking.
Light Pollution Report to NCC
posted by dhs on September 6th, 2009 10:15 PM
My 2 cents (that may not have been included in the report):The problem really isn't that the lights themselves are too bright, it's that they are too close - too close to the houses and too close together. In driving around Austin the last couple of months, I've taken more notice of light pole placement than I would have previously thought a reasonable person would do, and the light poles in Mueller are definitely far closer to the houses.This is partly a function of the shallow front yards and partly a function of the design of the Mueller poles which don't protrude over the street. The Mueller poles are also much closer together - in most comparable neighborhoods (Rosedale, Hyde Park, Cherrywood, etc), the light poles are mainly placed at intersections. By comparison, there are about 12 light poles on my block (Mattie Street between Antone and Tom Miller), and there are 4 light poles within 60 feet of my property, and a fifth one within 80 feet.I think there's an easy short term solution that should satisfy most residents. Replace the current globes with variably frosted globes, so that much (50%?) of the light on the home side of the light pole is filtered out. This would keep the streets as brightas they are, and I believe that the sidewalks would still be well illuminated as well.Installing physical shades on the poles as has been suggested would be more expensive and would force a sharp light-dark distinction that would be neither effective or becoming. And depending on the trees to shield the houses will not be effective for the lights that are the biggest problem - those directly in front of a house. A longer term solution will probably involve a different design for the lights themselves, and increased spacing between the lights, but this is neither fiscally or politically convenient for the existing homes. (It's easier to remove a nuisance than to move it.)Good luck, sloneycho, and thanks for making the effort.Doug
****4th of July Parade***It's On!
posted by MCCLOSKEY5 on July 4th, 2009 5:49 PM
Just a reminder to bring swim suits to the block party tonight. We will have some water activities for the kids. Also, if you park your car on Tom Miller between Antone and Sahm Streets, please move it or be prepared to keep it there until after 9:45 tonight. Thanks!
Streetlamps and Sidewalks
posted by SleeperService on May 31st, 2009 11:49 AM
For me the disagreement is...just like a torch beam -- ( which is fully shielded ) -- a fully shielded streetlamp -- would illuminate one thing and one thing only. I the like the streetlamps because the illuminate lots of things.I don't know - but I think I'm right in saying -- that a fully shielded system would seriously limit the amount of illumination provided by the lamp -- it would in affect create a pools of brightness surrounded by seas of darkness -- this is really not a happy situation for me... I wouldn't want to walk the neighborhood with a torch - would you?The only way I suspect you might be able to get around that would be to add more lights -- which would be seriously costly. Now obviously I might wrong about the pooling affect -- but I doubt it... I stand to be convinced-- but doubting.As I have said several times I'm very sensitive to the amount of light around --- since murmer didn't take me up on my invitation to walk the neighborhood let me give you some examples.The garden court ( number 1 ) -- this is totally impassable for me at night -- forget about feeling safe or not -- or seeing the bad guy or not -- I actually can't see the path in front of me. Why is this ?? because there are no streetlights in the garden court... that is not a large area and there are streetlights on both sides of it.Another example would be the antone wedge -- around the deepest part -- a little way in opposite 2001 antone -- is too dark for me to pick up objects or a monitor a child.The edges of the pool at night -- The pool itself is well lit -- but the ground around the pool is dark -- too far from streetlights and not lit in other ways.These are not even the parks -- I think we have all agreed that they need some work...Considering that retirement village/development is next on the things to be built -- I suspect there will be quite a few people with light insensitivity issues moving in -- don't you?I don't personally believe ( or hope ) that there is any kind of consensus forming -- I thought that was a little optimistic ( at least I hope so )-- in a brief unscientific survey of the people who agree with me -- I found they agree with me :-) -- I think it was a touch condescending to say arguments like "I just like the current system" -- don't count -- how about I rephrase that argument -- I like the current system and I think the other proposed system will suck -- does that count?If this other system is so good/cool/amazing/better why wasn't it used in the first place?? Then I could have looked at the neighborhood and known it was going to be terribly lit and decided to yay or nay it -- were-as I did the opposite because I was delighted that finally a neighborhood existed that was actually ezra friendly and looked like a real urban environment.Ezra.
Speeding on Zach Scott
posted by dhs on April 24th, 2009 4:08 PM
As was discussed at the last MNA meeting, those unmanned radar stations only work for a short time - until people figure out that there isn't a cop nearby. I too don't like speed bumps, and would like to suggest that we try to get the city to put in all-way stop signs at the intersections of Mattie Street with Zach Scott, Antone and Tom Miller. Although drivers don't always stop at stop signs, they do at least slow down since they no longer have the right of way. Another possibility is to petition for lower speed limits, which is now permissible on any street less than 35 feet wide that allows parking. Lowering the speed limit by 5mph might lower the average speed by 5mph.Doug
Wednesday on the Wedge
posted by Zekesmom on February 11th, 2009 2:57 PM
Wednesday on the Wedge is on today. Come to the Wedge for a social hour w/ wedge shaped food and things that begin w/ "W". At the corner of Antone and Sahm streets in the little triangle park. Bring bikes, trikes, frisbees, kids, picnic blankets and good moods!
MC Stickers Available - FREE :)
posted by Kevin Ludlow on October 21st, 2008 10:11 PM
Wanted to remind everyone that there are plenty of MC.com stickers left.Right now there are four bundles floating around. Grant has some over on Lawless, Dusty and Melanie have some over on Camacho, Dreux L. has some near the triangle park, and Felicia has some at the Streetman model home (Antone and Tom Miller).If you'd prefer not to meet these people (I promise they're all very nice) and still want one, just PM me your address and I can stop by with some.Thanks again!
MC Stickers Available - FREE :)
posted by Kevin Ludlow on October 15th, 2008 9:46 PM
Quick update on how to get one (or more) of these stickers.The effort is still being coordinated, but at present time I've delivered about 300 of them to some residents of the neighborhood.For those of you living around the Garden Court or Camacho, Dusty and Melanie Harshman should be able to help you out with them. I think they probably have about 30 or 40.For those of you who know Felicia (momof4), you're welcome to grab one from her either through Streetman or just whenever you happen to see her. She also has about 30 or 40 of them.For those of you living around Antone or the Triangle Park area, Dreux L. has a about 25 of them he can hand out to people.And finally, Grant Fisher has about 200 of them right now for all of you in the Scales and Lawless areas. Through a coordinated effort with Bobby G, we'll be trying to get the bulk of Grant's stock handed over to block captains starting tomorrow so they can be distributed.Anyway, there's a bunch of them floating around the neighborhood right now, so hopefully everyone that wants one will soon have access to it! Definitely post to the forum if you don't know any of these people and would like someone to get you one.
Re: July MNA meeting, Saturday the 12th!
posted by JennaMartin on July 31st, 2008 12:00 AM
Hey Bobby,Who is my block captain? Not very good at navigating this site yet, or else I would send you a private message. I live on Antone street, across from the triangle grassy park section.thanks!Jenna
Re: Attempted Break-in on Camacho St.
posted by Kevin Ludlow on June 11th, 2008 11:21 PM
I'm not sure how many of you guys know this, but the city of Austin actually has a pretty cool GIS system available online. Among many other things, there is a crime viewer included in it. Surprisingly they've even added all of the streets for the first phase of Mueller. The system is a little difficult to use, especially if you've never used GIS before, but I think most people can probably figure it out. I navigated to the site by way of: Select the 'Crime Viewer' from the bottom select bar....alternatively you might be able to get there directly by going here: A quick search revealed the following crime stats between 12/11/2006 and 06/11/2008. I thought I'd go ahead and post the results here just in case anyone was interested in what the crime has been like in the immediate area over the past 1.5 yers.Here is the list:1 ASLT BY CONTACT FAM/DATING VIO2 ASSAULT BY CONTACT2 ASSAULT W/INJURY-FAM/DATE VIOL3 ASSAULT WITH INJURY1 AUTO THEFT7 BURGLARY NON RESIDENCE8 BURGLARY OF RESIDENCE5 BURGLARY OF VEH1 CHECK WELFARE1 CITY ORDINANCE VIOL/OTHER9 CRIMINAL MISCHIEF1 CRIMINAL TRESPASS1 DEBIT CARD ABUSE2 DISTURBANCE/OTHER1 DRIVERS LICENSE VIOL/OTHER7 DWI2 DWI 2ND2 DWL SUSPENDED MANDATORY2 DWL SUSPENDED SR1 EVADING / FOOT2 FAILURE TO IDENTIFY1 FAMILY DISTURBANCE/PARENTAL1 FORGERY BY MAKING2 FOUND PROP1 GRAFFITI1 HARASSMENT2 LEAVING THE SCENE CRASH/ACCIDE1 LOST PROP1 NO DRIVERS LICENSE2 POSS MARIJUANA2 POSS OF DRUG PARAPHERNALIA2 SUSPICIOUS PERSON1 SUSPICIOUS VEH1 TAMPERING WITH GOV RECORD1 TERRORISTIC THREAT24 THEFT2 THEFT BY CHECK13 THEFT OF SERVICE1 TRAFFIC HAZARD/DEBRIS1 VIOL STATE LAW/OTHER1 WARR ARREST NON TRAFFIC...and the specific breakdown of that list (Mueller addresses are in bold)ASLT BY CONTACT FAM/DATING VIO 19xx 38TH HALF ST 05/09/2008 123 RESIDENCESASSAULT BY CONTACT 38xx AIRPORT BLVD 06/18/2007 1748 CONVENIENCE STOREASSAULT BY CONTACT 38xx AIRPORT BLVD 02/06/2008 1449 BUSINESS / OTHERASSAULT W/INJURY-FAM/DATE VIOL 19xx 38TH HALF ST 09/21/2007 50 RESIDENCESASSAULT W/INJURY-FAM/DATE VIOL xx 11/03/2007 200 RESIDENCESASSAULT WITH INJURY 18xx 38TH HALF ST 09/05/2007 1342 ASSAULT WITH INJURY 40xx AIRPORT BLVD 10/03/2007 2059 RESIDENCESAUTO THEFT 35xx MANOR RD 05/22/2007 1919 PARKING LOTS / GARAGEBURGLARY NON RESIDENCE 38xx AIRPORT BLVD 09/09/2007 706 CONVENIENCE STOREBURGLARY NON RESIDENCE 42xx AIRPORT BLVD 07/04/2007 133 CONSTRUCTION SITEBURGLARY NON RESIDENCE xx PERSHING DR 03/20/2008 819 CONSTRUCTION SITEBURGLARY NON RESIDENCE 36xx MANOR RD 03/24/2008 727 CONSTRUCTION SITEBURGLARY NON RESIDENCE 38xx AIRPORT BLVD 04/25/2008 151 BUSINESS / OTHERBURGLARY OF RESIDENCE 38xx GRAYSON LN 10/28/2007 1610 RESIDENCESBURGLARY OF RESIDENCE 39xx GRAYSON LN 07/09/2007 659 RESIDENCESBURGLARY OF RESIDENCE 18xx 40TH ST 12/25/2006 1754 RESIDENCESBURGLARY OF VEH xx 38TH HALF ST 07/02/2007 913 CONSTRUCTION SITEBURGLARY OF VEH 35xx MANOR RD 03/09/2007 903 BUSINESS / OTHERBURGLARY OF VEH 35xx MANOR RD 01/18/2007 1031 PARKING LOTS / GARAGECITY ORDINANCE VIOL/OTHER xx AIRPORT BLVD 01/31/2008 943 STREETS / HWY / ROAD / ALLEYCRIMINAL MISCHIEF 39xx GRAYSON LN 10/13/2007 918 RESIDENCESCRIMINAL MISCHIEF xx 09/27/2007 828 CRIMINAL MISCHIEF xx AIRPORT BLVD 06/26/2007 944 STREETS / HWY / ROAD / ALLEYCRIMINAL MISCHIEF 42xx AIRPORT BLVD 05/07/2007 903 CONSTRUCTION SITECRIMINAL MISCHIEF 35xx MANOR RD 04/21/2007 921 PARKING LOTS / GARAGECRIMINAL MISCHIEF 38xx AIRPORT BLVD 05/07/2007 1240 CONVENIENCE STORECRIMINAL MISCHIEF 36xx MANOR RD 06/15/2007 1114 BUSINESS / OTHERCRIMINAL TRESPASS 38xx AIRPORT BLVD 05/04/2007 1048 CONVENIENCE STOREDEBIT CARD ABUSE 39xx GRAYSON LN 04/16/2007 1857 BUSINESS / OTHERDISTURBANCE/OTHER xx AIRPORT BLVD 12/17/2006 209 STREETS / HWY / ROAD / ALLEYDISTURBANCE/OTHER 19xx 38TH HALF ST 04/23/2008 1539 BUSINESS / OTHERDRIVERS LICENSE VIOL/OTHER 40xx AIRPORT BLVD 03/31/2007 757 STREETS / HWY / ROAD / ALLEYDWI 41xx AIRPORT BLVD 04/21/2008 2226 STREETS / HWY / ROAD / ALLEYDWI 35xx MANOR RD 06/21/2007 1504 STREETS / HWY / ROAD / ALLEYDWI xx AIRPORT BLVD 05/15/2007 35 STREETS / HWY / ROAD / ALLEYDWI 40xx AIRPORT BLVD 03/05/2007 134 STREETS / HWY / ROAD / ALLEYDWI 18xx 38TH HALF ST 03/18/2007 2144 STREETS / HWY / ROAD / ALLEYDWI 42xx AIRPORT BLVD 01/27/2007 2245 STREETS / HWY / ROAD / ALLEYDWI 42xx AIRPORT BLVD 05/17/2008 22 STREETS / HWY / ROAD / ALLEYDWI 2ND 42xx AIRPORT BLVD 01/27/2007 31 STREETS / HWY / ROAD / ALLEYDWI 2ND xx AIRPORT BLVD 01/19/2008 335 STREETS / HWY / ROAD / ALLEYDWL SUSPENDED MANDATORY 40xx AIRPORT BLVD 12/13/2006 20 STREETS / HWY / ROAD / ALLEYDWL SUSPENDED MANDATORY 39xx AIRPORT BLVD 03/15/2008 1919 STREETS / HWY / ROAD / ALLEYEVADING / FOOT 41xx AIRPORT BLVD 04/18/2007 1031 STREETS / HWY / ROAD / ALLEYFAILURE TO IDENTIFY 41xx AIRPORT BLVD 02/07/2007 1245 STREETS / HWY / ROAD / ALLEYFAILURE TO IDENTIFY 40xx AIRPORT BLVD 03/25/2008 753 STREETS / HWY / ROAD / ALLEYFAMILY DISTURBANCE/PARENTAL xx PERSHING DR 04/13/2007 2316 STREETS / HWY / ROAD / ALLEYFORGERY BY MAKING 39xx GRAYSON LN 05/02/2008 1213 OTHER / UNKNOWNFOUND PROP xx AIRPORT BLVD 09/22/2007 1914 STREETS / HWY / ROAD / ALLEYFOUND PROP 39xx GRAYSON LN 09/22/2007 1919 STREETS / HWY / ROAD / ALLEYGRAFFITI 38xx AIRPORT BLVD 01/14/2008 1123 GROCERY / SUPERMARKETHARASSMENT 38xx AIRPORT BLVD 03/31/2007 1423 BUSINESS / OTHERLEAVING THE SCENE CRASH/ACCIDE 39xx AIRPORT BLVD 05/21/2007 1326 STREETS / HWY / ROAD / ALLEYLEAVING THE SCENE CRASH/ACCIDE 40xx AIRPORT BLVD 07/28/2007 620 STREETS / HWY / ROAD / ALLEYLOST PROP 36xx MANOR RD 06/23/2007 1421 OTHER / UNKNOWNNO DRIVERS LICENSE xx PERSHING DR 01/22/2007 1351 POSS MARIJUANA 41xx AIRPORT BLVD 12/19/2006 1234 STREETS / HWY / ROAD / ALLEYPOSS MARIJUANA 42xx AIRPORT BLVD 12/23/2006 143 STREETS / HWY / ROAD / ALLEYPOSS OF DRUG PARAPHERNALIA 36xx MANOR RD 08/07/2007 2105 STREETS / HWY / ROAD / ALLEYPOSS OF DRUG PARAPHERNALIA xx 11/05/2007 1615 PARKING LOTS / GARAGESUSPICIOUS PERSON 41xx AIRPORT BLVD 08/03/2007 1824 PARKING LOTS / GARAGESUSPICIOUS PERSON 40xx AIRPORT BLVD 03/25/2008 1248 STREETS / HWY / ROAD / ALLEYSUSPICIOUS VEH 39xx AIRPORT BLVD 02/08/2008 1732 STREETS / HWY / ROAD / ALLEYTAMPERING WITH GOV RECORD 40xx AIRPORT BLVD 05/06/2008 658 STREETS / HWY / ROAD / ALLEYTERRORISTIC THREAT 38xx AIRPORT BLVD 10/16/2007 1720 BUSINESS / OTHERTHEFT 38xx AIRPORT BLVD 02/14/2008 1540 BUSINESS / OTHERTHEFT 38xx AIRPORT BLVD 03/12/2008 1653 BUSINESS / OTHERTHEFT 38xx AIRPORT BLVD 03/12/2008 1733 BUSINESS / OTHERTHEFT 38xx AIRPORT BLVD 02/14/2008 1551 BUSINESS / OTHERTHEFT 38xx AIRPORT BLVD 01/31/2008 1238 BUSINESS / OTHERTHEFT 38xx AIRPORT BLVD 12/27/2007 1032 BUSINESS / OTHERTHEFT 38xx AIRPORT BLVD 12/27/2007 1012 BUSINESS / OTHERTHEFT 38xx AIRPORT BLVD 07/06/2007 1342 OTHER / UNKNOWNTHEFT 36xx MANOR RD 06/21/2007 921 BUSINESS / OTHERTHEFT 38xx AIRPORT BLVD 10/26/2007 1511 BUSINESS / OTHERTHEFT 38xx AIRPORT BLVD 10/26/2007 1508 BUSINESS / OTHERTHEFT 38xx AIRPORT BLVD 10/26/2007 1504 BUSINESS / OTHERTHEFT 38xx AIRPORT BLVD 10/26/2007 1456 BUSINESS / OTHERTHEFT 18xx 38TH HALF ST 09/19/2007 943 BUSINESS / OTHERTHEFT 38xx AIRPORT BLVD 05/10/2007 1520 BUSINESS / OTHERTHEFT 38xx AIRPORT BLVD 02/14/2008 1601 BUSINESS / OTHERTHEFT 38xx AIRPORT BLVD 05/17/2008 1356 CONVENIENCE STORETHEFT BY CHECK 38xx AIRPORT BLVD 11/21/2007 1328 BUSINESS / OTHERTHEFT BY CHECK 38xx AIRPORT BLVD 04/09/2008 1246 BUSINESS / OTHERTHEFT OF SERVICE 38xx AIRPORT BLVD 12/27/2007 1024 BUSINESS / OTHERTHEFT OF SERVICE 38xx AIRPORT BLVD 12/27/2007 1000 BUSINESS / OTHERTHEFT OF SERVICE 38xx AIRPORT BLVD 11/20/2007 1916 BUSINESS / OTHERTHEFT OF SERVICE 38xx AIRPORT BLVD 08/17/2007 953 SPECIALTY / RETAIL STORES / SERVICES / MANUFACTURINGTHEFT OF SERVICE 38xx AIRPORT BLVD 08/10/2007 1120 BUSINESS / OTHERTHEFT OF SERVICE 38xx AIRPORT BLVD 05/24/2007 1429 BUSINESS / OTHERTHEFT OF SERVICE 38xx AIRPORT BLVD 04/23/2007 1652 BUSINESS / OTHERTHEFT OF SERVICE 38xx AIRPORT BLVD 03/13/2007 1237 BUSINESS / OTHERTHEFT OF SERVICE 38xx AIRPORT BLVD 08/03/2007 1247 BUSINESS / OTHERTHEFT OF SERVICE 38xx AIRPORT BLVD 08/10/2007 1137 BUSINESS / OTHERTHEFT OF SERVICE 38xx AIRPORT BLVD 08/17/2007 946 SPECIALTY / RETAIL STORES / SERVICES / MANUFACTURINGTHEFT OF SERVICE 38xx AIRPORT BLVD 12/27/2007 949 BUSINESS / OTHERTHEFT OF SERVICE 38xx AIRPORT BLVD 01/09/2008 1537 BUSINESS / OTHERTRAFFIC HAZARD/DEBRIS 40xx AIRPORT BLVD 02/16/2007 515 STREETS / HWY / ROAD / ALLEYVIOL STATE LAW/OTHER xx AIRPORT BLVD 01/30/2008 1613 STREETS / HWY / ROAD / ALLEYWARR ARREST NON TRAFFIC 40xx AIRPORT BLVD 12/31/2007 740 STREETS / HWY / ROAD / ALLEY
Re: Parking revisited
posted by langhugh on April 22nd, 2008 1:17 PM
Again another great reason to attend the POA Advisory Panel meeting on Wednesday, April 23rd, at 7:00PM at Asbury UMC:viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1934There are two compelling arguments for on-street parking: 1. the theoretical, which, as Chris Cosart points out, somewhat couterintuitively supports on street parking as a pedestrian (young and old) safety benefit. This has been discussed somewhat comprehensively here and on the Yahoo group. As sherrig78753 attested, it is all about speed. Without on-street parking, I would wager that the POA will be talking about which traffic "calming" measures need to be taken on Camacho, Zach Scott, Tom Miller, McClockey and Antone within 18 to 24 months. and2. the practical, which is where we're at with our narrow 17-18 foot garages and short driveways. While it is conceivable to fit two vehicles, with the requisite door/wall dings and 3 point turns to enter and exit the garage, the hassle makes it unbearably life-draining. This is a design problem, that I believe will be addressed in future phases with wider garages. Doesn't do us much good, but we are Pioneers. That does not even begin the discussion of the three-car households.There are some proposals being offered by the POA Advisory panel to possibly allow an extra vehicle parked on the street per household that would still not be likely to line our streets with cars on both sides. Their are some public safety concerns (Fire, EMS) to that situation which we should consider as well.I wanted to thank the message board participants for this rational, human discussion. Particularly Chris Stewart...what a thoughtful post.Dusty
Landscaping plans
posted by hpc on February 6th, 2008 9:48 AM
I am not surprised - like so much at Mueller, despite years to plan, it all seems so last minute. The folks that are living there now still don't have postal service - now over 2 months since they closed. Garbage service by the city still hasn't started (did Catellus hire a private contractor?) and no one is certain where the cans are supposed to go - gosh I hope it's not the street, or it will be impossible to drive, but the alley also seems problematic. Can you imagine backing out of your driveway and being stuck behind the garbage truck as it makes its way down the alley, and you're late for work (oh yeah, we are not supposed to have to drive to work!). I well remember, at the time our contract signing, they the SP reps couldn't tell us whether the alleys would be one-way. It was obvious that they could only be one-way, but Catellus hadn't decided or hadn't informed any one. We were interested in a SP house on the courtyard along Antone, but no one could tell us what it would look like, where the sidewalk would go, etc. We changed our minds about that lot because of the lack of info. Sometimes (when I am not fretting about the builder end of things) I worry that the plans drawn up by Catellus and the city will just not work well. You know, streets a little too narrow for comfort, alleys a bit to crowded, too few parking spaces for all the SUV/pickups that can't fit into the tiny garages, houses so close togethor that drainage between them becomes a problem, etc. Many other unforeseen problems too. I know that Catellus has done these redevelopments before with success, but how do we know that they didn't try to push the envelop in Mueller? Anyway, when I get depressed, I read Aaron's blog and I am reassured. Gonna' have to buy that guy a drink or two.
untitled
posted by Kevin Ludlow on September 6th, 2007 2:41 PM
I've had a contract for about 2 weeks now and they told me March of 2008. My guess is more like April-June of 2008, but who knows. I drove through the community yesterday and noticed that DW was getting the foundation frames on some houses done (basically the middle homes that face east west in phase IA). Additionally it looked like Streetman had done the same near the SE park, and that Standard Pacific had done most all of them along Antone.
Kevin on Sahm
posted by Kevin Ludlow on August 30th, 2007 2:56 PM
Well I was waiting for some people to start posting into this thing. I will be living on Sahm Street, just across from the triangular-shaped park that sits on the corner of Sahm and Antone. I graduated from UT a handful of years ago, work as a software developer in Austin, and am looking forward to getting into my new house :D
PromiseLand Learning Center
MOMS!! Mother's Day Out Program starts Aug 15! Register by June 30. Near Mueller. Also offering full-time care, 6 weeks-5 years.
512-220-6381
Zen Electronics - Custom Home Theater
A Mueller Resident Owned Business Providing Personalized, Cost Effective, Home Theater & Home Automation solutions in the Austin, TX Area. Click here to learn more.
Elect Kevin Ludlow for State Rep!
Pro-LGBT Rights, Pro-Pot, Pro-Net Neutrality, Anti-TSA, Anti-NSA. Support Kevin Ludlow for the TX House of Representatives District 46
view more ads »
© 2005 - 2012 cityCore, LLC   |   terms   |   privacy